The following from flickr
When I was a boy, Maynard’s was a ubiquitous presence in the North London scene, with confectioner’s shops in every high street, graced with their distinctive-scripted Art Deco “Maynard’s” fascias.
Charles Riley Maynard and brother Tom started their Stamford Hill candy factory in 1880, whilst Charles’s wife Sarah Ann served customers in the adjoining shop.
The company was incorporated in 1896 and in 1906 the expanding concern moved a mile or so to the Harringay site in the picture.
Also around the turn of the century, Charles Gordon, heir to the candy firm, suggested to his father that they diversify into making “wine gums”, an idea that outraged Charles senior, a strictly teetotal Methodist!
Nevertheless, Charles Riley gradually came round to the idea when his son persuaded him that the projected new sweets would contain no actual alcohol.
A classic was born!
The manufacture of Maynard’s Wine Gums commenced in 1909. The new factory site below an embankment of The New River, permitted clean Hertfordshire spring water to be used in production whilst the proximity of The Lea Navigation and numerous railways afforded coal and sugar to be cheaply shipped from the South and gelatin from the North. London itself provided a ready market of some ten million people, and the World’s largest commercial port was within five miles.
The works grew consistently, irrespective of trade depression or war, to become a four-figure employer of local labor.
The sweets themselves came in five shapes, colors, and flavors: Kidney, crown, diamond, circle and rectangle stamped “port”, “sherry”, “champagne”, “burgundy” and “claret”.
In 1990, Maynard’s combined with the Tottenham licorice mill Barrett’s plus effervescent candy firm Trebor. Later in the same decade this combine merged with the Anglo-American soda pop and confectionery conglomerate Coca-Cola Corporation as part of its Cadbury chocolate and candy arm. Retail assets were divested.
In 1998, the London factory closed and Maynard’s Wine Gum and associated sweet manufacture was continued at a Sheffield premises that had come on-stream in 1991. By 2002 worldwide sales of Maynard’s Wine Gums alone had reached a value of forty million pounds sterling per annum.
The Harringay premises is now a warehouse for The Oriental Carpet Company and its associated Turkish concerns.