Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

From the Tottenham, Wood Green and Edmonton Journal:

AN athletics track in Finsbury Park is not fit for purpose and has left young Olympic hopefuls feeling neglected, say users.

The track is home to London Heathside Runners and Athletic Club and is in need of a £250,000 cash injection to bring it up to competitive standards and make it safe, members claim.

Business consultant Simon Confino, 48, of Priory Avenue, Hornsey, whose son trains at the club, said: "There's talk about the need to promote fitness in young people.

"We're told you've got this once-in -a-generation opportunity in the run-up to the London Olympics and here we are with a major track in Haringey that's not suitable for young people to do basic training."

Problems include "slippery mud" washing onto the track when it rains making it "dangerous", the athletics track having six lanes rather than the standard eight and "disgusting" changing facilities.

more here

Tags for Forum Posts: athletics track, finsbury park, finsbury park athletics track

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to say, I went across to the track the other day to find out about joining the Heathside Running Club. Although I would agree the track and facilities did look a little tired, I spoke to a really passionate guy who works there. He gave me info about the running facilities and how they're trying to encourage people to join the organised clubs rather than using the track independantly to ensure track etiquette is maintained (not wearing ipods and crossing lanes etc) and the facilities are looked after. I came away with a really positive impression of the track, gym and other activities which everyone can get involved in on the park. Maybe if more people use the facilities the council will see the demand and invest a little more money in the up-keep. Or I am just being naive?
Maybe "Business Consultant" Simon Confino can use some nous and get his business friends to raise some money. Just a thought...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service