Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This article by Simon Parker, a fellow at the Office for Public Management, previously head of public services at Demos, suggests

"three broad recommendations that should appeal to everyone. The first step is for councils to find a way to build personal relationships with citizens. People who need a lot of contact with the council - especially the "I have nots" - should get a named personal adviser in the local authority call centre who they can always contact to help solve their problems.

The next step is to sort out the public's faith in decision-making; this is especially important for the "we haves" and "we have nots". Start by simply getting councillors out in public more; politically staffed ward offices and regular patch walks would help give local politicians extra resources and a higher profile. By connecting with the decision-makers, the public can gain a better understanding of the decisions.

Finally, make sure the council is making its decisions in a way that citizens agree is fair. A participative process of creating a local "decision-makers' charter" could set out the key things councillors will do every time they make a big choice, including making sure that all voices are heard, that there are mechanisms to review the decision, and that it can be reversed if need be."

All makes very good sense to me...now where did I put my Harringay Charter?

Demos publication, State of Trust

Tags for Forum Posts: local government, trust

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

People who need a lot of contact with the council - especially the "I have nots" - should get a named personal adviser in the local authority call centre ...

That call centre could end up being a substantial employer.
Liz, I was wondering when you and I would disagree strongly on something. Over next week, I'll try to write a brief critique of the Demos proposals from Simon Parker and the others.

However, right now I'm focused on the huge Firoka mess-up at Ally Pally and Cllr Charles Adje's role in that. I don't necessarily agree with all Clive Carter's conclusions on HoL. But Clive is absolutely right that the report by Martin Walklate is extremely important. It's vital that the events it describes are as widely known as possible.

Unusually, even our ineffectual local press has realised there's a big story here; and written critical editorials. But again, I agree with Clive that it's worth people wading through the full Walklate report and making up their own minds.

Whatever judgement they reach, people then have an opportunity to influence public decision-making by sending their views to their own councillors and to Cllr George Meehan, the Council Leader. And of course, to the local media.

This is likely to be the most effective influence over the particular "big choice" we now face.

Download the Walklate Report here.
Well I'm not sure we do disagree Alan, I prefer to think I'm waiting to be educated :) I guess I put it out there in the forum with my slightly facetious comment ( as in 'oh its that simple then) to get just the sort of critique you are promising. I would have been surprised I guess if everyone just agreed with it.
Look forward to it...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service