Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Noticed a change to layout of forum discussions? Read this post for more info...

You may have noticed that the layout of the forum discussions have changed. This is because responses are now shown in chronological order, following comments from users of the site that threads can be hard to follow and comments missed under the other (slightly more anarchic) lay out.

We hopes this helps with ease of reading and following discussion. If you want to make a general comment about the original posting, you select the large 'Reply to this' at the end
of the list of comments or write in the box under the post as before, and your comment will
be added to end of the list.

However the way that one replies to a specific point has changed, slightly. When you select
the small 'reply to this' under someone's comment, you will find in the box a lot of apparent gobbledegook appearing which on closer inspection you will see is the site automatically selecting the comment you wish to speak to.

Just write your comment as normal under the technobabble or if you are feeling especially confident, you can delete all the words you don't need in the bit you want to talk about.

When you hit, 'add your reply' you'll find that the original comment has been cut and pasted for you and your comment appears underneath.

Hope this helps, ask Liz or Hugh if you have any problems.

Tags for Forum Posts: forums

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand the point of the (previous) change - but dammit the 'new' style was inelegant, and after re-reading all those quotes within quotes like Russian dolls you often come to someone's little response that leaves you wondering, 'Why bother?' The mountain labouring to produce a mouse that barely squeaks. (And who said they were giving up metaphors for clarity's sake?)
The sort of post that tipped the balance for me was this one. Inelegant & just plain tough to follow.
This is harder to follow, because my second comment is earlier in the list than my first
Yes that's a bit messy, but we're just getting used to it. I can see that it's unnecessary to include the post you are replying to every time. But I don't think it's hard to follow...
The thing is, both systems have their drawbacks.. I have to admit. I prefer the chronological system - but that's probably because I use it on other forums(i).

But I do understand Hugh's point..
I'd like a bit longer with the 'new' system to see if we can make it work more elegantly
It would seem to me that the use of a 'red new' but used with the 'old system', would be the best alternative to the problem of not being able to follow complicated discussions, with more than one 'sub point'.

Would it not be possible to ask Ning if they can provide us with that?
I preferred the new system by miles!

Though I agree, it probably makes sense for the poster to edit the section quoted from a little before hitting the 'save' key.

We only had it for a few hours - I reckon it needs a longer trial period before scrapping it altogether?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service