Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Friends of Finsbury Park are revisiting our events policy.One of the questions we need to answer is whether or not we support religious events in the Park. The old byelaw against preaching and singing hymns has gone but some people strongly believe the Park should be a secular space.
My opinion is that if people want to get together to worship their god that's fine but promotional events are not fine.
We're also discussing this at our meeting this Sunday (2:00pm at the art hut, by the Finsbury Gate, if you're interested).

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury, park, religion

Views: 200

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Anne

Thank you for putting this up on HoL.

My own view is that the park (and all parks in Haringey) should remain 'preach free' zones. Plenty of our old cinemas and halls have already been taken over for religious activities. The last thing we need is for the parks to follow. These open spaces are meant to be places where people can go and relax or play sport. I'm sure God would agree.:)

But if there are people who feel an urgent need to preach to the public they are able to do so at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park.
God does not exist. Never did. It's all just fairy tales for adults.
i practice religion.
i am happy for the parks to be used for and by religions.
i am not however happy when i pass a park or any space being used by these loud overbearing arrogant types yelling into amplifiers turned up to 'eleven'.
all you can hear is them.
telling you all you need to here is them.
the hairs rise on my heckles whenever i see vulnerable folk being taken advantage of by loud mouthed bigots.
so if they don't turn up, then fine.
why not?

is it really that bad?

as long as they arent pestering people, i dont see the problem.
I thought the parks were for the people. If some people want to hold religious meetings, why not ?

Perhaps it's not a question of whether you "support religious events" but rather if you want them banned. Would that not be rather intolerant ?

It's a fairly big park after all.
Ever strike you how many secularists have raided some of the old religions only to adopt and monopolise many of their god-given and time-honoured characteristics of intolerance, exclusivity, fundamentalism, witch-hunting and credal nimbyism?

Yes, it's a fairly big park with space for a broad church - but as most religions need water, pavilions or tents I think we really must take over the OLD CRICKET GROUND for our ecumenically religious purposes. "Shall we Gather at the (New) River?" etc.

I have just founded a fairly inoffensive body of Silent Quakers, open to all comers. Watch out for our new 'Society of Friends of Finsbury Park' group on HOL.
Don't you dare!
John, I just knew you would be first member of our congregation moved by the Spirit to speak. Praise the Lord for John's message - Hallelujah!
You rotter.
*diversity, diversity*
reason, reason....
religion is only divisive for those who choose to see it as such, i think. if you're comfortable with your own beliefs and are happy for others to have opposing opinions, its easy not to get offended.

but then again, i am in the minority of people who dont mind preachers ringin on my door on a Sunday morning to invite me to consider their faith. If you just wish them well and politely decline, they'll happily move on.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service