Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A commission examining health inequalities in Liverpool has called for the establishment of local community bodies that would allow the public to object to alcohol licensing applications on public health grounds.

A report by the Health is Wealth Commission – which emerged from the Liverpool City Region Development Plan to examine health inequalities in the region – has proposed the creation of licensing advisory forums, which would advise licensing boards on the health, crime and social implications of granting alcohol licenses.

The non-statutory forums – which would include representatives from the local community – are one of 12 recommendations made in the commission's final report.

Other proposals also include the creation of a task force to examine the causes of incapacity benefit claims and worklessness.

The report said that evidence gathered in the course of the commission's research set out a "stark and worrying picture of the city-region’s health profile".

It added: A growing problem with alcohol misuse and huge inequalities in terms of health and living standards emerged as areas of particular concern – doing nothing is not an option."

Thinking about the broader licensing picture (including gambling licences), an interesting development.

Tags for Forum Posts: alcohol, betting shops, gambling, licensing

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As I understood it, and I could be wrong, councillors outside of London are not actually paid. I think there's some kind of expenses thing but... all that power and no money is a recipie for abuse.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service