Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is Haringey Council really recycling whats in our recycling boxes?

I left the house on the morning of 29th August to see the bin men putting our recycling into the wheelie bins and then emptying this mix into a refuse truck. Does this mean they can separate the recyclable items from all of our waste at the depot, or are they just sending it all to a landfill site?
Was this a one off or have people seen this before?

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes the recycle crew go up the road with a wheelie to empty the green boxes into before dealing with it correctly, maybe that's what you saw. I happen to know Haringey's Recycle Manager and she is VERY conscientious, dilligent and knowledgable and would not put up with any deceptions.
I actually find the recycling service in the borough to be very well carried out these days, it's a shame more people don't think of recycling before they ask for more and more wheelies.
All these myths about recycling just serve the desires of people who find it all a pain in the arse and want to go back to being waste monsters with a free conscience
Frank

Would you mind asking Haringey's Recycle Manager what North London Waste Mgmt do with the recycled material (assuming they have the contract)?

Matt (40% recycler 60% waste)
:)
Thanks Matt and Frank -

I'm sure that many individuals working for the Borough are doing their best in terms of recycling. However I must admit to a certain bemusement at the whole process that has been whipped up by the target and penalty setting of EU governments - which has led to a desire to 'increase' recycling rates.

Surely all waste sorted for recycling is still waste, with toxins attached. I am beginning to accept that the majority of our recycling waste now goes to poorer countries for partial reuse/recycling but part of that deal is they have to deal with stuff they cannot reuse. The stuff is then dumped on common land to annoy people who would prefer to see the stuff in the country of origin.

Therefore the people who benefit from increased recycling rates are business owners and some workers, but at the expense of poorer people in developing countries.

Should I assume any differently in the absence of a sensible explanation via the media, etc.?

It wasn't so long ago there was worry about old oil tankers ending up in Bangladesh for breaking down - but I haven't heard much more about that. Before that the onward processing of nuclear waste. We should learn to deal with our own waste and ensure we don't send it off-shore - any compromise on this is surely a cop-out.

I look forward to hearing from the Recycle Manager as to how recycling is dealt with by the people that pick it up from the Councils.
Yes, you refer to reports last week that it is cheaper for waste contractors to export recycled waste outside of the EU. India is one place that is taking our recycling for a fraction of the 148 euros per tonne it costs to sort it here.

Once it's sorted through in India by contractors it's reported that unusable waste is being dumped on rural areas in that country. Clearly this is unacceptable. The EU must stop allowing recycling material to be exported outside of the EU.
Cities have always operated this way. We've never taken care of our own waste.
John, London's biggest landfill is in east London.

Currently, around half of North London’s municipal waste and a quarter of business waste goes to landfill sites outside London.

The North London Waste Plan will consider what to do with all waste in the area up to 2020. It will identify sufficient sites to deal with this waste, potentially using a mix of facilities including recycling, composting and using waste to produce energy.

Where does north London's waste go?;

1. A new composting facility opened at Edmonton in 2005, enabling the composting of an additional 30,000 tonnes of green and kitchen waste each year. In 2005/06 the NLWA and the seven boroughs recycled and composted just over 20% of municipal waste.
2. In 2005/06 34.5% of the waste received by the NLWA was used to generate electricity at the Edmonton Energy from Waste Plant.
3. So 55.5% goes to landfill outside of London.

Note, the above represents municipal waste which equals a quarter of all waste. The other 75% (3 million tonnes) is mainly comprised of commercial, industrial and construction, demolition and excavation waste. A higher percentage of this waste tends to be recycled.
(my 15mins ran out)

At a London level, approximately 44% of commercial and industrial waste and 85% of construction, demolition and excavation waste is recycled.

There are interesting and imaginative ways of dealing with our waste. Ealing for example has Biogen make power and organic fertilizer from food waste collected from its households. See here if you're interested.
Just to agree with Frank's point; they empty the green waste bags into a wheelie bin, which can then be emptied automatically into the lorry. I know this for a fact as I watch the whole thing happen most Fridays (my son's choice, not mine!).
I have also seen them put the recycling in big green wheelie bins for easier transportation to the truck(last Friday) There were 2 lorries one for waste and one for recycling...very impressive. So it must have been a one off on the Bank Holiday Friday, because I did see them putting recycling into our wheelie bins.

...However, I did not see if the wheelie bins had already been emptied, they could have been using our bins for transporting to the truck rather than carrying the green boxes...hmm question answered?
Pop along to this event (take a few old bit and bobs you don't want) and ask them all about it
http://www.harringayonline.com/events/event/show?id=844301%3AEvent%...
Hello Liz,
Unfortunately I was unable to attend, is it going to be a monthly event?
Did you go?
Was it any good?
If so did you find out any news from the recycling people?

Thanks for letting me know about this event, hopefully I can make it next time

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service