Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Here's why the betting office door is always left open...

So why is the door of the Betting shop left open all the time?

Well, we found this one out at the Area Assembly meeting. It appears that the staff are afraid to be in the shop and not be visible from the street because of the fear of robbery and violence which has increased since the opening of so many betting shops on Green Lanes. The police reported that the businesses are poorly managed and that they cannot keep staff because of the level of crime. While this comes as no surprise to any of us, it can give us very little satisfaction to say I told you so.

The MD of one particular shop on GL is a member of this site and if he is reading this, I sincerely hope that he understands that the residents of this area do not thank him for bringing more crime to the area, nor are very impressed with his lack of care for his staff. If he has a conscience, then I hope he and others on GL will co operate with police in protecting his staff, bringing down crime and general anti social behaviour and controlling the impact these establishments have on the neighbourhood.

But I doubt it. This is a business after all that is interested in squeezing every last cent out of a punter and social responsibility is hardly something the gaming industry is famous for. I want that door shut but now I'm worried for the poor soul who is stuck in the shop perhaps in fear for their safety. On the other hand, if the children of this neighbourhood are forced to witness criminal activity because of that open door, I'm not going to care one way or the other for the people inside. Time to get that licence reviewed surely?

Tags for Forum Posts: betting shops

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bet the police would feel differently about that door if it was a massage parlour and the employees felt the same way.
I'll give you 5-4 odds on!
Unbelievable.

Wasn't this the chain that talked about their shops being more of a 'cafe' experience?? Yeh, right.
News story here, scroll down.
If there was violence going on in the shop would you want you and your kids to see it as you walk pass? Even more of a reason to shut the blinkin door isnt it? They probably have the doors open cos it sends out a more inviting message to the vulnerable as they walk by with nowhere else to go.
Make them shut the door, get robbed and beaten up and then shut up shop. It's an adult establishment, why should they be allowed open doors?

If it is this bad, surely the licenses should be revoked? Is there anyone on this site with a little legal knowledge?

I want to go down the road with a brick and deposit it through the window, I really do.
It always use to be against the law (so I was lead to believe) to show the inside of a betting shop to minors, thats why there's alway advertising shields in the windows, I don't know if this is still the case?
The issue in these shops are the fixed odds betting machines which have been described as the 'crack cocaine' of gambling. To quote (roughly) the police officer from Monday night, "they put 3 or 4 hundred pounds in them and then get angry when they lose the lot." Now tell me, how many millionaires are there living round here who can afford to lose that kind of money in a pokey corner betting shop? That kind of money can only be coming from crime or from credit somewhere (pawn shops are doing a roaring trade at the moment apparently). The trouble with gambling is that only those who can afford to lose money should really do it but these shops sell fantasies. Look at the windows of these stores, pretty girls and boys holding out the promise of wads of cash (and maybe a promise of their company too!).
"We're here to help inside"
Betterbet Window

You're right Clive, the drinks and cigarette industries are now forced to make it abundantly clear on their products that they are detrimental to health. The gaming industry should be forced to do the same.
Maybe should is more accurate?
Attachments:
Nice!
Very good!

How do we find out of it is indeed illegal to show the inside of a betting shop to a minor? If this is the case, they will have to keep the doors shut. We need to get the police to enforce this, or start revoking licenses.

So what if that makes them feel unsafe? I'd say make them so uncomfortable and harrassed that they move out!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service