Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Take a look at the comments about our local park
Time Out Reviews, Finsbury Park

Do you agree with them?
Personally, I think more needs to be done with the American gardens and getting the Harringay side of the Park opened up (but leaving the softball/baseball part as it is).

And what about a Farmer's Market?

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, time out

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Under 8 then. We assumed they'd be in tennis shoes too.
There's not much activity in cricket Ruth, mostly standing around watching so there wouldn't be much damage done : )
Cricket would damage the green; the stumps that would create holes, the bouncing off the ball would create rough patches and the running between wickets and chasing balls across the outfield would pull up the turf (nobody ever runs across a bowling green). And crown greens are unsuitable for cricket because they curve off toward the edges which would make boundaries more likely.
I use to play a bit of crown green as a teenager. I think I'll look into playing in Finsbury Park
???? I'm talking about tiny little children in tennis shoes? They're not even allowed wooden bats anymore, let alone real stumps! Boundaries? I must admit, I've umpired some little kids games when I was a teenager and some of the parents can get a bit... enthusiastic, but I doubt anyone will care about a sloping boundary. In fact... the best wickets I've played on have sloping boundaries. At Bat and Ball in Hambledon it is impossible to see the bottom of the wickets from the boundary.

It's just tiny, little kids.
I know, I know. I don't mean to come across as an old curmudgeon; I'm just trying to preempt the reaction I imagine you'll get from the bowls club.
I've just been looking for Finsbury Park Bowls Club but they don't seem to have a web site (that speaks volumes). I bet you a pint that they won't have a kids' cricket game on their lawn. I do want to get a game of bowls there though.
I disagree, I think the café is far better than it use to be, more choice, more room, inside and out, and all reasonably priced.

People that surround FP don't want farmers markets or organic nettle, bark & free range quail soup. This park is the most widely used park I know, it is used for absolutely everything, even minor world (American) sports : )

It's great that a park that offers fair grounds, music festivals, community festivals, the keep fit crew, model car racers, dog trainers, sun (not much I admit) bathers and tons of urban wildlife.

We use to go to Priory park a lot, we haven't been since FP has been done up, it offers do much more.
Yes , we actually go to Finsbury Park now because there is a decent play area. You'd think however they could have spent a few 100s of pounds from their millions of lottery money on painting up the scabby boats on the lake! Boats probably have to apply to a separate quango.

We also go to Springfield Park (a real gem), Queens Wood, Highgate Wood & Priory Park for variety. The last two have a zip wire (or flying fox) which the kidz love. Priory Park play area is starting to look tatty now though.

The cafe at Finsbury Park is certainly much better now, especially when compared to that joke of a rip-off place in Priory; £2.50 for a micro bowl of pasta with a tea spoon of tomato sauce on top - they should be arrested! Reminds of that film Eat the Rich.
Yes, I don't like Priory Park at all (though its play area is being done up).

The only other one around here that we go to regularly is Stationers Park, near Stroud Green Library. Fantastic play area for older kids (and younger ones who aspire to be older) and a great double slide. No cafe though; take your own food!

As for FP cafe, personally wish they'd offer a little less but do it better. And get some nicer cakes - the stuff they have is like cardboard. There; I've shown my true colours!
Hi Anne

Fair points. I thought this site was possibly connected to the friends of Finsbury Park but I guess not (?).

I'm involved with a little open space on 'the ladder'; website here.

Happy to meet up any time to have a chat.
Hi Anne

Have a look at A blog for Finsbury Park. That was what I was trying to direct you to above, not HoL.

Religious events in parks; for what it's worth, my vote is 'no'.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service