Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

When we first moved into our house, we found a Kelly's post office directory from 1935 in the attic which I unearthed again today. It lists all the addresses in the then Hornsey borough and who was the head of household.

Our house was occupied by Arthur Jackson for instance. What is also fascinating is that there was a synagogue on Wightman Road (the current church opposite the mosque) and a lot of residents with German or jewish names living on the ladder (remember, this was 1935).

The unfortunate resident of 26 Priory Gardens N6 was one Mrs Hitler, who I'm sure changed her name by 1939.

If you want to know who lived in your house or anyother address in 1935, just let me know.

Tags for Forum Posts: history of harringay, who lived in your house

Views: 3996

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am blown away by your research!
Michael, could you let me know who lived at 58, 60 and 62 Beresford please?
58 - Mrs E Townsend
60 - William Thomas Keats
62 - Mrs Warne

Down at the Green Lanes end, Frances William Lawrence looked after your fruit and veg needs at 138

You also had Mrs Parrot, Miss Sparrow, Mr Hooten and Mrs Peacock, living nearby. A vertitable aviary!
Was the Mrs Parrot by any chance a school teacher?

There was a Mrs Parrott at Woodlands Park Primary School in the late 1950s early 1960s..
Many thanks Michael. I certainly remember Mr Keats in later years when we helped him get pears down from his tree!
Hi

Does it list who lived at 5 Stanley Road by any chance?
The rather wonderfully named Theophilus Haygreen. At the other end of the road (no 93a) was The Cleaning Waste Supply Company - rag merchants. Obvious a very up market area in the 30's!

Can you help Stephan uncover anything about this shop?

Well, by 1935, 459 Green Lanes was occupied by JH Cross, no indication of the trade being carried out there. This one looks older than 1935 though so must predate Mr Cross.
On either side, Lynbo was occupied by Lionel Meears (again, the shop type isn't given) and Deniz off licence was Jack Finkle's tobacconists.
What is fascinating is that Baldwin's Butcher existed then, owned by a Mr Redvers Baldwin. Not at it's present site but a few doors along at 477.

If you liked this thread, you may be interested in this upcoming talk at the Geffryre Museum.

Morning Paul. 16 Wightman was still a butcher's shop in 1935, J O Hunt. In fact the whole stretch up to Umfreville was a commercial centre with a diary, Threshers wine merchant, a tailor, pastry cook, stationers, greengrocer, dressmaker and a potato merchant among others. Number 22 was the site of the Hornsey Maternity and Child Welfare centre run by Miss Glover.
30 Mattison was occupied by Arthur Henry Hail. South Harringay school seems to have been divided into two functions then. The part to the west of the Passage was South Harringay school while on the east side was "Schools for special instruction and swimming bath". There was a headmaster of something call manual instruction (W P Bannister MA) and housewifery, cookery and laundry was looked after by Miss Windsor, superintendent.
Had a quick Google of "schools for special instruction" and found this from Derek Gillard's Education in England, chapter 3.

"In 1892 the Leicester School Board established a special class for selected 'feeble-minded' pupils, and the London Board opened a school for the special instruction of physically and mentally detective children. The emphasis was on occupational activity rather than formal education.

By 1896 there were 24 special schools in London attended by 900 pupils and by the end of the century schools for defective children had been established by six other boards."

I wonder if that part of the school was then for children with physical and learning disabilities?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service