Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I work for Career Academies UK, a charity working to raise the aspirations of 16-19 year olds considering a career in business www.careeracademies.org.uk.

100 schools and colleges around the UK are running Career Academies and locally, we work with Haringey Sixth Form Centre on White Hart Lane who are launching their Career Academy in September.

To run successfully, the Sixth Form Centre needs support from local people with business experience to help enrich the students' studies through mentoring, lectures, trips and visits.

At the moment, we're recruiting volunteers for our Partner in Business mentoring programme which matches students with individuals with business experience to act as a window on the world of work, to offer advice and guidance through their sixth form studies. The time commitment is minimal (10 meetings over 18 months) and the student will travel to meet you at your place of work. Induction sessions are held for all volunteers before meeting with the students.

If you're interested in supporting the Sixth Form Centre as a Partner in Business, think you have something else to offer, or would just like some more information, please let me know either through this site or at my work address, rhiannon.evans@careeracademies.org.uk.

Hoping some of you will be able to help.

Tags for Forum Posts: volunteering

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like great work you're engaged in rhi. How are people able to evaluate whether they have what the project needs? Better to count yourself out than have someone else do so!
Good question.

The main condition is having an interest in helping teenagers achieve their potential. The level of business experience is less crucial; our volunteers include anyone from trainees to senior executives, in small companies as well at FTSE listed. The idea is to give the students an insight into the world of work and some appreciation of the opportunities available to them; you're not expected to have all the answers. I've mentored a Career Academy student and my experience is in the non-profit world rather than 'big business'.

The mentoring programme allows for a relationship with one student over a prolonged period but there are also opportunities for one off sessions to speak to a group of students about a business related topic and for those more interested in the strategic planning, there are vacancies on an Advisory Board to help the team at the Sixth Form Centre to source suitable opportunities to enhance the students' learning.

We have some good video clips on our website of volunteers and students talking about their experiences which give a good idea of the benefits of the programme:

http://www.careeracademies.org.uk/career/Film.aspx

I'm happy to speak to anyone who wants some more information or put you in contact with an existing volunteer.
Sue Belton wrote:

"Hi Rhiannon,
I would absolutely love to get involved with the career academies.

I am very passionate about this whole subject and would love to contribute my skills / experience in any way I can - especially my coaching skills, as I can see how beneficial they would be with teenagers.

I would love to talk about this further, so please do call me if you would too.
(private message sent via site admin)."

Let me know if you have any problems contacting each other via the private messaging facility
Liz

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service