Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

MP David Lammy has condemned the latest Batman movie for its "disturbing" content.
The Tottenham MP wrote to the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) claiming The Dark Knight's depiction of knife violence and brutality is too much for a film classified as only 12A.
He said: "Many Tottenham parents will take their children to see the new Batman film only to learn that the cumulative effect of the violence in this film is very disturbing.
"The film goes far beyond the superhero or fantasy film tradition."

More

Anyone seen it? Do you agree?

Tags for Forum Posts: Batman movie

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen it and agree with David Lammy.
i thought it was at least a 15 certificate when i went to see it. there is no way that should have made it in to the 12A category - its far too violent! i would not let our 12 year old watch it.
What happened to Robin?
I agree the film was certified way to low at 12A. I would not take a 12 year old to see it. Much of the violence was implied but it was still present. It was sad to see the film cut in such a way to get the 12A certificate. It smacks of deliberate manipulation of the censorship guidelines. The use of knives was quite shocking.

However the film was well scripted with good characterisation with the Joker particulerly. This was an adult film with adult content and the censors should admit they made a mistake. No doubt they will come up with some rationalisation like all unelected bodies. Something like blah, blah, blah.
I'm sure chldren in Tottenham have seen worse already.

Is this really how David Lammy should be spending his time? Certainly explains why it's so hard to get a response out of him over and above the standard letter.
Lammy - focus on the real local issues!
That's no reason to condone it. Why the hell are we so prude and yet so blase about violence?

Mr L --- go man!
Agree. What we expose our children to on the big screen IS a local issue, Lammy is right to make his views known to the BBFC.
My 9 year-old son wants to see the film, and having seen it myself, I've said no. While the BBFC might argue that the violence is implied, there are a few scenes here that I do not think are appropriate for children. And violence aside, I can't see how children under 12 will make sense of the many themes and issues that bombard the film. I feel BBFC were under pressure not to give DK a 15 cert given that a large number of kids will want to see it. Giving it a 12A shifts the responsibility to parents. In my opinion, as a film journo and parent, Dark Knight is not a kids movie.
I discovered that I wasn't old enough to watch a 12A cert film, and had to shield my eyes a few times and talk it out to exorcize the jitters thing afterwards.

A dark pathological violent film, may be true to the original story, but is too real and twisted for fantasy.

Over 30 cert needed and master performance by Heath Ledger as the psychopathic Joker.
For those who don’t know, the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has FOUR websites now.

www.bbfc.co.uk
www.cbbfc.co.uk
www.sbbfc.co.uk
www.pbbfc.co.uk

These are designed for different audiences. The first gives general information about recent film and DVD classifications.

The second is for children and the third for A level and college students and includes case studies of "notorious" films such as Straw Dogs and Clockwork Orange.

The newest website is the fourth in the list and gives PARENTS detailed information about film classifications. The BBFC would advise parents considering what film/DVD their children can watch to check the parent’s website and in particular the “Extended Consumer Advice”.

Cheers

Laura
Ladder resident and…
BBFC employee
Thanks Laura,
I'll put a link to the Parents site in the Kidstuff group for people's reference. Looks very useful.
I've not seen the film but went to see a film called Man on Wire that was released around the same time and was amazed to realise that it got the same classification as Dark Knight!! No sex, no violence, no swearing, no drugs. Perhaps a health and safety classification (is about a tightrope walker who walks between the twin towers in the 1970s).

Great film by the way, would really recommend it. Even to a 12 year old.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service