Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Does anyone else get gangs of men hanging around outside their houses drinking and eating?
I don't know if this is some kind of cultural thing, but I have noted lots of east European men (not teenagers) lurking around having loud conversations while sitting on people's front walls in the 'Gay. It is threatening and they leave litter.
Has anyone else had this happen to them and how do you get them to go away without starting a neighbourhood feud?
Jesus, Harringay makes you NIMBY.

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We do occasionally get it on Hewitt. I think they gather outside a house where one of them lives. I'm not sure there's much you can do about it since they're not breakig the law. There's always the approach-them-directly route, but that's fraught with difficulties. Maybe someone else has some thoughts.
There are a couple of HMOs in my road and at times the residents have taken to sitting outside rather than in. When they have a. used my wobbly front wall as a sofa b. made leery comments to me, I have asked them to remember that we are neighbours and should therefore be respectful to one another (a la Ms Jean Brody). I've never seen grown men look so embarrassed and run away so quickly. Hooray!
The neighbours comment has worked for me too. "Alright bruv, respect yeah?".
Moonsky, click on the second link in this blog post to a story about what one man dreams of doing to people who litter out of car windows (ignore all the other ole gubbins if you wish)
We get this sometimes on Seymour Road as well, mainly around the passage, and mainly late at night. It's extremely annoying, rude and inconsiderate, and I believe site etiquette prevents me from saying what I think of these people and what should happen to them...
Some time ago, the council banned street drinking in certain parts of Haringey. Despite lobbying from local residents, this ban was not extended to this part of the borough, not even down the passage which as we know sees a lot of drinking ( and the after effects of it). I've also noted both from the debris and seeing them that the Green Lanes ends of the ladder and garden roads, near the offies, bookies and 'food outlets' where there are no houses are often the scenes of impromptu drinking parties with accompanying cig litter, packaging and more 'human waste'.

Anyone who walked up Seymour Road yesterday will no doubt have been as appalled as I at the evidence of 'a good time' spread across the pavement and in the gutters.

One of a number of photos I took yesterday of the pavement which included broken bottles, fast food packaging and cans of alcohol as well as the inevitable fag ends.

This has to be tackled both by police and by traders who supply this stuff but don't act to clean up their bit of the pavement. It is time to lobby the council again for a drinking ban on areas of Harringay. It may be time to get traders to talk about 'good neighbour agreements' regarding their customers and the space around their shops. It is cetainly something to flag up to SNT next time that they ask for a priorities list for us.
Seymour Road was even worse than that later on in the evening - counted at least 5/6 chciken boxes along with bones/grease etc. We also suffer from people hanging around in their cars at the bottom of the road - have never understood the attraction myself!
Can we ban people who overreact from Green Lanes too? :-)

No-one is trying to stop you from drinking - though if it is you and a gang of your 30-something educated pals who left a load of cans and empty fried chicken boxes on my garden wall, I am on to you.

And I want justice.

Vicious mob justice.
The point I was making was that in other parts of the borough, no drinking zones were considered the solution to the problem and have been largely well received by the communities who are suffering. It may be going too far to suggest we are 'suffering' but the fact remains that drinking is part of the problem. I too drink, in the past quite heavily and have also done all the things above that you mentioned (I can't stand the hangovers now) and I would like to think that my drinking only damaged me and no one else .

I would prefer a solution in which we designed/collaborated out the problem (because it is soul destroying to walk through broken glass, dirty packaging, and other less savoury detritus whether you are 3, 30 or 83) and would welcome suggestions. Although anti social laws exist, they may as well not if they are not enforced but I don't want this to be a police issue either. We need to tackle root causes. Why do people sit in cars and eat and then throw the litter out of the window? Why do they choose to drink in this way (I don't think I ever sat on a street corner, breaking bottles even at my most drunken)? How can we 'nudge' not nag people into respecting their environment and their neighbours? Why don't they? Do they feel it doesn't matter how they behave because no one cares what they have to say?

There's nothing wrong with sitting on your own fence in the evening, I and my family do it a lot in the summer as that's where the sun is, but why then must this behaviour tip over into aggression from some? I would acknowledge that this is an issue more relevant perhaps to those living either side of Grand Parade (although I don't know this for sure) near the aforementioned establishments and that I don't for one minute advocate a Harringay wide ban on street drinking, merely a focus on the areas that are most affected. If not a ban, then what do we need to do?
Yes I would, I hate living here, but can't afford to move. If I ever get some money you won't see me for dust!!!
I want all the ignorant dirtbags who drink, smash bottles, spit, shout and generally intimidate and create a nuisance for the rest of us to be aware of the fact that what they're doing is wrong. What's the problem with that?
I don't mind someone having a drink in a park, as long as they're not screaming, throwing litter around and vomiting on other people or public areas.
I don't think to expect a certain level of common sense and manners is over the top. Unfortunately a lot of people seems to lack in those departments.
What is wrong with wanting to be able to sleep though a whole night without being woken up by drunken screaming and shouting? What's wrong with wanting to go down the road and not be slipping in someone's half digested old curry and beer from last night, not to have broken glass wedged in to my soles (I pity any animal who walks in that!), not having to see discarded food wrappers / boxes etc, and not having to breathe in the smell of stale piss outside the Lion King? Absolutely nothing. I did not sign up to live in a slum, but it seems that's what I am getting.
You are suffering from Crouch Envy, as does anyone sensible in the 'Gay.

Ten things that make me want to live on the other side of Harringay Station.

1) Cockroaches

2) Mice

3) People moving from beer to spirits at 10am in Finsbury Park.

4) Fizzy cacik - a sure sign of duff hygeine in your local kebab shop.

5) People having their disgusting dinner on my front wall.

6) 'The Ginger Junkie' and 'Shrunken Shaun Ryder'. Two of our favourites dossers about town.

7) Tiptoeing through dog poo with a pushchair.

8) Knowing that the Marie Curie charity shop is the best shop on Green Lanes.

9) Coming home to find people have been rifling through my recycling bin. Again.

10) People defending the inherent shittiness of Harringary by allusions to living in the 'REAL' london as opposed to 'plastic' Crouch End or New Stokington. Death can't come soon enough for them.

Any more suggestions?
Cml, when did you move in to my head and steal my thoughts..? :D
You've got me sussed. I admit it.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service