Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Take a look at the story in the Hornsey & Crouch End Journal. They clearly missed the avatars on Harringay Online!

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tweezers.
i cant see past the shiny forehead. am i becoming as superficial as that study?
A classic BP would not live here. Sorry, but they want to live somewhere "cool and trendy" and it's a big deal to them.
I had the pleasure of walking along Holloway road to get my puncher fixed the other day and I was struck by how unhealthy people looked and it crossed my mind that they obviously don't eat their fruit and veg around here, unlike the many a fit bloke I often see doing the green lanes strutt for their avacardos and water melons. However, as for Mr. Viren I think he's been at the kebabs a bit too much, it will have to be Troll number 1 for me
What's beautiful in the end? How can we define something is beautiful and something is not?

The stereotypes are so different that's difficult to make out of them a general rule.

Try asking people from different countries/continents the question: what's beautiful for you?
Beautiful+Person != A Beautiful Person. I use the term BP to denote someone who is yes, probably quite nice to look at BUT they know they are and they're obsessed. They're usually quite shallow too. Good fun when you're people watching though.
John, BP is another (old) media term that sucks as much as the survey we're talking about. You spend too much time in the city watching the boys in suits. ;)
Leaving aside the unfortunate doctor who has been well and truly dismissed by the ladies of Harringay, I agree with you FP that defining beautiful is very hard. I do worry that these days, the definitions of beauty seem to centre around underweight, white teenagers (and the 'celebs' who try to emulate them) whose images bombard our girls (and boys) at every turn. Luckily , I'm old enough to be beyond all that, but as the mother of a little girl I worry that eventually, despite my efforts, the media message will permeate. That people perceive rich to equal beautiful as this study suggests is depressing so that in the end we end up with the anorexic, vacuous doll that is Victoria Beckham as the suggested role model for our girls. Sometimes, I feel like my elder sisters burned their bras for nothing.
talking purely physical I would say
women - curvy = very good
Men - curvy = very very bad
I might generate a scandal here and it's surely personal taste, but I don't find Victoria B beautiful for instance.

Maybe beautiful for some people is "what you can't be or get".
Ah no, I would suggest most 'grown ups' don't find or are even interested in media definitions of beauty but the young and very impressionable are influenced by such things. A recent programme working with very young children 'A child of our time' discovered that girls were already talking about weight and diet in negative terms (and boys were identifying with very stereotyped overly macho role models) and wanting to be underweight. Go into any newsagent and 'curvy' women are only seen on lads mags usually with their clothes missing.
On the front of every other type of magazine at eye level are pictures of anorexic celebs or stupid headlines about people being 'overweight'. We should not kid ourselves that our children do not see or understand these messages, research suggests otherwise.
And it's Amy Winehouse young girls/women look up to for everything else, apparently.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service