Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The annual Open House event has a tradition of taking Londoners inside some of the most interesting buildings in the capital. As it has increased in popularity, some of the most popular buildings have become harder to get into – so now's the time to get organised and book the top spots
This year the programme includes:
Arsenal Emirates Stadium, N7
Open since 2006, this new Islington landmark is familiar enough from the outside, but now’s your chance to experience it from the inside. With a capacity of 60,000 people, it cost £430 million to build and incorporates architectural features like a downward sloping, tubular steel roof designed to create the perfect microclimate on the pitch. Its construction was not without controversy – some local residents unsuccessfully tried to take legal action against it, and there’s an ongoing question about volume levels exceeding council limits when it’s been used for gigs like Bruce Springsteen’s sell-out dates this May. But the only argument most Arsenal fans are interested in is about the airline-sponsored name. For some, it will always simply be ‘the Grove’.

Or perhaps you prefer this
Highpoint, N6
This 1933 Grade I-listed block of flats is a seminal piece of modernist architecture designed by Berthold Lubetkin and inspired by Le Corbusier’s ideas. Intended as a new answer to the problems of high-density urban living – which had previously been solved by building out into the suburbs – it was intended as working-class housing but, being in Highgate, quickly became a very desirable middle-class address. The Open House guided tour takes in the common parts, including recently restored foyers and the interiors of two flats which retain many original features such as cork floors, concertina windows and metal doors.
more
September 20-21
Watch website for details or get a printed programme from
http://www.openhouse.org.uk/public/london/generalinfo.html

Tags for Forum Posts: Open House

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No anti-football moans please...
Thanks Liz for posting this on. I missed last years open house but now I've got a chance to plan it all in advance.
There is also a charity Night Hike on Friday 19th September 2008
A 20 mile challenge route and a unique Friday night in London, visiting some of the most breathtaking buildings in our city.

This year’s route will kick off with an opening party next to City Hall and the stunning backdrop of the Thames. You’ll take in the sights of Somerset House, Horse Guards, and Royal Geographical Society, Broadgate's Finsbury Avenue Square and enjoy a glass of champagne at sunrise on the terrace of the Institute of Engineering and Technology at Savoy Place while taking in the stunning panoramic views of London.
More at
http://www.openhouse.org.uk/public/london/nighthike.html
This sounds like a pretty serious pub-crawl.
Thanks for reminding me about this Liz. My family used to regularly book in for the visits and did a bike ride sometime back. Open House offer some really good illustrated guides too.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service