Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've been pushing the idea of a Harringay Charter for a few months now. I last wrote on it in June (but click the tag link below to get a broader picture).

A couple of days ago I hear from Dasos, our neighbourhood manager, with some promising news:

From: Maliotis Dasos Subject: RE: Green Lanes Strategy Group - Citizen's Charter - Tuesday 23 September 2008
To: "Hugh Flouch"
Cc: "Cllr Canver Nilgun" , "McGovern Caroline"
Date: Monday, 28 July, 2008, 2:43 PM

Dear Hugh,

Hope you are keeping well. Following the meeting of the GLSG held on 21 May at which you were invited to attend to discuss the possibility of introducing a Citizen’s Charter in the area. Officers have now began to develop proposals for the GLSG to consider at its next meeting and the Chair of the Green Lanes Strategy Group has asked me to invite you to attend to that meeting which will be held on Tuesday 23 September 2008 at 7.30 pm at Woodlands Park Nursery, Woodlands Park Road, N15.

The arrangement for your attendance is on the same basis as last time and once the discussion on this item has been completed, you will be requested to leave the remainder of the meeting.

Any documents on this item will be sent to you in advance as soon as they are available.

regards

Dasos Maliotis

Neighbourhood Manager

Harringay and St Ann 's Neighbourhood Partnerships
Neighbourhood Management Service
2nd Floor Alexandra House
10 Station Road
Wood Green
London N22 7TR

www.haringey.gov.uk

Tel: 020 8489 4936
Mob: 079 6733 6231
Fax: 020 8489 4544

So that sounds promising...............

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay charter

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Margaret, with respect! I'm not sure why you feel the need to reprise so often, in so many discussion threads, the biographical details of your world citizenship - as if that negated in some way the value of other people's approaches to living in and engaging with Harringay and Haringey.

Many of us have bits of ourselves, our experience, our relationships, families, commitments ... scattered across Haringey, several London boroughs, British or European regions, or even several continents. So we shouldn't make common cause, in addition to individual effort, to better Harringay in case someone thinks we're about to declare UDI from Haringey???

If you don't need to anchor yourself in Harringay, just use it to park your belongings, etc why bother joining the discussion? Some of us might prefer the Guyanese & British poet Grace Nichols' line: "Wherever I hang my knickers, that's my home." Well, Margaret, I've been hanging mine here in Harringay for 30+ years. Harringay's my developing, or under-developed, country at the moment.

So you arrived in Harringay by accident? Isn't that what happens most people in most places most of the time? Isn't our very existence, and the planet's, the very accidental result of a myriad accidents - few of which we'd have chosen given the chance? So what?

As for the Charter for Harringay, Hugh, Liz and others can fill you in on it much better than I can. I would see it as a work in progress, and a very significant one which, as Hugh reports, seems to be making progress where the power lies. Harnessing group efforts, whether or not expressed as a charter, is not just about the problems of "people just arriving in the area", as you suggest. Probably the best way we can find out about a Harringay Charter is get involved in its genesis and development. But if we don't want to, the HOL Thought Police probably won't stop us at the border.
None of you can possibly speak for me in any charter. I speak for myself and my life is mine . I joined this blog to find out what is going on but I can now do that on my own. So goodbye Harringay Online, I'm off on my own wordly adventures and I leave you all to your little bit of the world. Hope it flourishes as you wish.
Just as a footnote to this whole 'world citizen versus neighbourhood citizen' debate:
Rene Dubos, an advisor to the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment in 1972 suggested in 1979 that ecological consciousness should begin at home. He believed that change would be better effected if "natural and social units maintain or recapture their identity, yet interplay with each other through a rich system of communications". I would suggest that as well as ecological, economic and social problems can be viewed in the same way.
His 'catchphrase'? Think globally, act locally

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service