Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Don't get me wrong - I love all the kebab shops, and antipilar cafe does good mezze - but wouldn't it be really great to have either a lovely,french patisserie like the one in newington green over here, or a nice, slightly upmarket chain like a giraffe cafe? i really feel like there is somewhere missing on green lanes - you have to go to crouch end, stokey or newington green for any lazy sunday brunches, or mid week treats for yummy mummies, or someone nice and relaxing to meet your friends. i want to collect enough support to show one of the managers of these sorts of places that there is the demand for it on green lanes. does anyone out there feel the same way as me? i moved to the area 8 months ago from highbury and miss the cafes most of all!

Views: 645

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This link is quite useful regarding starting up a food co-op, similar to a cafe co-op; http://www.ncga.coop/about/coops/gettingstarted

Note, they say; The development model for Food Co-op 500 is based upon the four cornerstones of vision, talent, capital and systems that are each within three stages of food co-op development: organizing, feasibility and planning, and implementation.

Most of the cash swimming around Green Lanes is Turkish. Now if you could tap into that somehow ....
If you're looking for a more upmarket place for a coffee what wrong with Costa at Arena?
Sorry folk,

but maybe you haven't realised that in Green Lanes there is a simple French style cafe. Of course is not Newington Green but coffee and French patisserie is really good.

It's run by very kind Algerian guys and there is often a woman behind the bar.
I can speak about Sunday mornings. They prepare quite a lot of sweets for other cafe too.

Have you ever seen it?
Have you ever tried it?

From outside doesn't look nothing so exceptional, but scratch the surface and step inside.
Do you mean La Ruche? I buy bread, croissants etc and cakes (not too often) from there. The owners are indeed charming and give me a chance to speak French, and the young lady who serves there is very nice. I would second FPs suggestion to give it a try if that's the one.
Yes, La Ruche! Thanks.

Please give a try, it's simple but the offer is good.

Yes, my wife gets a chance to speak French as well as she's bilingual and the owners seem enjoy speaking a bit of French with people.
Anyone know what time La Ruche opens on Sunday mornings? The last few times we've bought croissants from Helim they've been awful and was wondering whether they might be a better bet (you'd hope so, what with being French and all)..
About 9.00 ish a.m.
Great, will give that a go.

Bought some lovely bread there on Friday, had never tried it before - so thanks for the tip.
I was there around that time this morning.

BTW, as somebody else posted, I noticed this new place Dolcetti.
I'll give a go next time to test the croissants.

GL is becoming a popular place for patisseries/bakeries. An Hungarian one, a French one, Cypriot ones and Dolcetti (Italian?).
It used to be a genuine French cafe owned and run by French people. It then clearly became 'leant on', the customers suddenly all because chain-smoking moody Turkish/Kurdish males and about a year ago, the police raided it and discovered a major fake passport operation being run out the back. Needless to say, the French owners had long given up and moved on (not everyone's a Muna sadly). Now it's just another unexciting cafe again which resembles a mock English caff from Benidorm circa 1985. Photos of chips and beans? Shame really.
there is a new cafe (dolcetti) opening where Halepi used to be.

It looks like they will be serving coffee and pastries from what I have seen so far.

If I do get round to giving it a try, will post a review!
I understand that people who have tried have had their planning permission turned down because there are already enough cafes. You should campaign for an independent rather than a chain to avoid the "clone town" effect.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service