Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

or does this idea just scare you?

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You'd only pick up people with a criminal conviction so it would hardly be a foolproof way of checking people out. In this country, we have the CRB checks for working with vulnerable people (mine freely available to interested parties) but it didn't prevent the Soham horror even though he was known to police. Just playing on people's fears...and yes scary
Not sure I've thought it throuhg enough to say why, but I don't like the idea at all.
I actually find who they highlight for investigation pretty bizarre. Okay people who you have working in your home, maybe. School teachers, inevitable target, although I imagine the checks on those working in the state system are the same as here, but then it says things like "activist shareholders" eh? "Acquaintances", just plain paranoid. "Your children's friends", you mean this thing can access juvenile records, is that legal? and then a clue to the kind of people using it "hedge fund managers"...going to be a lot of people checking out their hedge fund manager in the projects methinks. Also fairly scary is the message "as a result of heavy volume of traffic to this site..." lots of people using it! Can't happen here? Wouldn't like to bet on it.
This is fantastic! I've just run a check on my first cousin (Italian/Irish/American - six weeks my senior):
T----- G. M------,
Previous addresses: in M---- I----- and M----, FL.
Fined for obstructing police officer in --- 79
Sentenced for cocaine trafficking in '84
Fraud, obtaining property with worthless check in --- '85
Robbery/theft on same date

Always knew there was some reason I never visited them. Now let me try George Doubleya.
Yeah, thought as much. Search of all states results in "0 RECORDS FOUND". Just doesn't include EYERACK, dammit.
I must admit I thought about running some of my American relatives through it but they are all god fearin' bible folk so surely no record. Odd way to keep a check on your relatives, Eddie...could just write 'em a letter
Liz, you really think my cousin Tomasino would have told me all that in a letter? His mother, Auntie Brigie, used send me $5 every Christmas when I was at boarding school. She probably knew even in 1955 that five bucks would be wasted on her Tomasino.
But Tom, Liz, Hugh - don't you see that this level of NeighbourHOOD Watch/Virtual Acquaintance Criminal History Check would be an essential tool for any Site Admin.Moderation half-serious about screening, say, a Community Website? It would certainly make me feel safer, with all the weirdos lurking covertly on these sites. IMHO HOL is overdue for a deep clean sweep.
Vigilantes' charter. Please God, not here :(
those pesky yanks

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service