Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

For those of us who don't get enough big ideas from HOL, this could be interesting.

Big Ideas is a series of events held in a pub in central London, usually on the last Tuesday of the month (but watch out for the odd variation). Anyone is welcome to turn up.
Sessions generally start with a question. Someone who has some relevant expertise gives a very brief, informal talk. After that a discussion develops in a free and unstructured manner. It's not a lecture, and it's not a debate; it's a pub argument, but unlike any you've had before.

You don't need to know anything about the subject to come along, listen to the talk and join in. They cover a very wide variety of topics .

Big Ideas isn’t affiliated with any political, religious or other organisation, and they claim they don't have any particular agenda. They organise these events simply because we enjoy learning new things and engaging in discussions on important (or sometimes not-so-important) topics.
Usual venue is upstairs at The Wheatsheaf, just off Oxford Street and 5 minutes' walk from Tottenham Court Road tube station, but check specific event details as they do occasionally do it in other places
http://www.bigi.org.uk/
Next Event: What Does It Mean To Be Modern? 29th July at 7.30

Tags for Forum Posts: big ideas, local ideas

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Apparently if you're very modern then you do well at an IQ test. I think this will be a short argument.
isnt that kind of what we do online at HoL? There was another pub event on the news recently where people take it turns to rant and moan about something - grumpy old mans night. Perhaps our the next Hol social could be something along these lines?
Well there is a 'theme' to the next social I think as Hugh is going to present the charter idea so I guess we might be already be going down those lines but it might be a thought to have a local HOL sponsored Harringay version of 'Big Ideas' and I don't mean moaning about dog poo or traffic!
Yes, as some will have noticed, I have also been looking at ways to vary things a bit on HoL drinks nights. Maybe a debate; first topic: should the KidzCollective be allowed into primary schools. :) But yes, moving swiftly along, I look forward to hearing about the charter. As you say Liz, a good starting point.

Another cafe meet-up trend at the moment are the 'science' nights, held around the country.
Why the quotes around the word science? I've not forgotten that I said I would start up a Harringay Atheists group on the site... just waiting for my life insurance company to get back to me.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service