Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just came across this one on the BBC web-site.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7513416.stm

Two police officers are on sick leave after being attacked by a mob in south London after they asked a 15-year-old girl to pick up her litter.

One officer was dragged to the ground and kicked while the other was bitten by a girl who jumped on his back.

Up to 30 people took part in the attack, which happened in North End, Croydon, on Wednesday afternoon.

Trouble flared when the 15-year-old threw her food wrapper back on to the ground and became aggressive.

Hospital treatment

A girl who was arrested at the scene on suspicion of assault has been released on bail.

Two men, aged 34 and 38 and both from South Norwood, south London, have been arrested on suspicion of assault and violent disorder.

Police said the girl initially picked up the fast food wrapper when asked by the patrolling officers, but immediately dropped it again sparking the confrontation.

The officers, aged 34 and 29, suffered bruising and knee injuries and are currently on sick leave.

The officer who received the bite wound required hospital treatment.

Officers have been examining CCTV footage from the area.

Insp Simon Ellingham said: "We have heard from several retailers in the area who were horrified at the level of violence used by the crowd against the officers."

How long before we have similar here? Would the police even bother to tell anyone to pick up their litter? And if the police are attacked, what hope is there for the rest of us should we be foolish enough to point ot that someone may have missed the bin?

Tags for Forum Posts: attack, litter, police

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anette, I once asked a grown man to pick up his food wrapper at a Camden bus stop and immediately another totally unrelated man began to shout and threaten me and had the bus not come, would have succeeded in punching me which was his intention. I have been very wary ever since of direct confrontation. I sincerely hope that we do not experience such behaviour but I suggest people pick their 'battles' with care.

I bet when those unfortunate officers asked the girl to do something quite reasonable they could not have anticipated such a reaction. However, it strikes me that the litter was an excuse to attack police officers and could have been sparked by anything. Some teenage girls can be very agressive and look for trouble and there are always mental cases hanging around ready to wade in as my experience in Camden taught me.
and they say crime levels have reduced....

what a load of crock. people are just too apathetic to report anything anymore.

someone i know had an intruder last week (not in Harringay) whilst she and the kids were alone at home, and she couldnt be bothered to call the police, because all that got nicked was her handbag. she couldnt be bothered with the pointless paperwork.
It's just such a sad stare of affairs when we're too scared to confront anyone, and the criminals are better protected by the law than the victims.
When will they introduce a zero tolerance policy in this country? It's long overdue.
Ah, good old Croydon. Glad to see my hometown folks setting a lovely example.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service