Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is this the answer to preserving Harringay's Heritage buildings?

Haringey Independent, Charlotte Gray wrote:
Seventeen of Haringey's most historic buildings and monuments are at risk of decaying beyond repair, English Heritage has warned.

The organisation launched their Heritage at risk register yesterday, which reveals the listed buildings, monuments and parks in danger of decay or modernisation.

There are 17 on the list in Haringey, including two new additions for this year - the Palace Cathedral, formerly Tottenham Palace Theatre, in Tottenham High Road, and a cast iron lamp column in Hornsey High Street, built around 1870.

Of the 17 buildings and monuments on the list, three are deemed to be in "very bad" condition, eight are in "poor" condition and six are judged as "fair".

They are all deteriorating or suffering from disrepair.

The Palace Cathedral, built in 1908 by Wylson Long as a variety theatre, is suffering significant water damage to its structure and interior.
advertisement

A cattle trough and drinking fountain erected in 1901 in Wood Green High Road, listed as in "poor" condition, has been neglected and is in need of disrepair, while some fine tombs and monuments in the medieval churchyard of All Hallows in Tottenham have been vandalised.

Putting these historical features on the English Heritage register entitles Haringey Council to bid for money to restore them.

Cabinet member for regeneration and enterprise, Councillor Kaushika Amin, said: "Haringey has some outstanding, historic buildings which, along with English Heritage, we're keen to preserve for future generations.

"Each year we put forward nominations to English Heritage for those buildings which we think should be included in their Heritage at Risk register. Being on the register means that the plight of these buildings is highlighted nationally, and it can also help obtain funds to repair and restore them.

"The Council is actively seeking the repair and restoration of all structures on the at risk register, and to secure their future use for the borough."

Simon Thurley, chief executive of English Heritage, said: "These are places, buildings and landscapes that have the potential to shape the quality and even the course of our lives. Yet their future is uncertain.

"In today's fast-changing society this heritage is arguably more important then ever, providing a sense of permanence and continuity, a focus for social cohesion and a sense of identity as well as a catalyst for regeneration and good new design."
In recent years work to resore two buildings in the borough has led to them being taken off the register: The Former Tottenham Public Baths and Number 336 Philip Lane

The full list:
Hornsey Town Hall, Broadway, Haringey, Greater London
Condition: Poor
Occupancy: Part occupied

Alexandra Palace (theatre), Muswell Hill, Haringey, Greater London
Occupancy: Vacant

Drinking Fountain, High Street, Hornsey, Haringey, Greater London

Cast Iron Lamp Column, Hornsey High Street, Hornsey, Haringey, Greater London
Condition: Fair
War Memorial Chapel at Hornsey Central Hospital, Park Road, Hornsey, Haringey, Greater London

Public toilets, Bruce Grove, Tottenham, Haringey, Greater London

7, Bruce Grove, Tottenham, Haringey, Greater London
Condition:Very bad

All Hallows Churchyard, Church Lane, Tottenham, Haringey, Greater London

The Palace Cathedral (former Tottenham Palace Theatre), 421-427, High Road, Tottenham, Haringey, Greater London
Occupancy: Occupied

Warmington House, 744, High Road, Tottenham, Haringey, Greater London

Percy House, 796, High Road, Tottenham, Haringey, Greater London

810, High Road, Tottenham, Haringey, Greater London
Condition:Very bad

Tottenham Town Hall, Town Hall Approach Road, Tottenham, Haringey, Greater London

Former Gaumont Palace Cinema, Broadway, Wood Green, Haringey, Greater London

Drinking fountain and cattle trough, High Road, Wood Green, Haringey, Greater London

Porters and Walters Almshouses, St Leonard's Almshouses, Nightingale Road, Wood Green, Haringey, Greater London
Occupancy: Occupied

Gates and railings to St Leonard's Almshouses, 12-24, Nightingale Road, Wood Green, Haringey, Greater London
Condition: Very bad

Tags for Forum Posts: heritage, local ideas, preservation

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes I think the whole country is a bit of a heritage museum.. Are there perhaps too many museums etc. all over the place? Maybe there's a bit of overkill and people generally can't be bothered about what their area used to be like, it's residents and how the area has changed. They live for today and don't care a toss about the past.. and anyway.. what has it to do with them? their culture? their lives in 2008?
But perhaps that's thinking too globally.

The Borough still has some fine buildings and they definitely should be preserved. I know this doesn't fit in very well with the Council's PC view of the Borough.. Generally, the buildings that survive were the homes of the well-to-do, or are recreational facilities of non-ethnic English people up to the middle of the last century. This maybe explains the gradual decline and lack of interest over the years in these special, often beautiful buildings.

I think it would be good if HOL could be used to increase the awareness of the residents of Harringay to what they have around them. Open their eyes to the wonderful style and form of Grand Parade as well as the 'step' layout of the Garden streets and of course the Ladder... planned to be a comfortable, quiet suburb where the stores closed half-day on Wednesday..

Perhaps, it's because I'm an ex-pat that I dream of place that doesn't exist anymore, but surely there must be some local interest in getting back a bit of pride into the area. Harringay, both sides of Green Lanes is something special.. not every area of suburban London has so much architectural interest in it.
You can search directly at the English Heritage site and get more info, pictures etc.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.19203

Enter Haringey in the 'District or London Borough' field to get the list of 17 above.
I agree with you Steve. I can't believe people are not interested in the past, its not my experience. Most people prefer old houses to buy especially if they have a story, they like older buildings to look at and, as is clear from the site, are keen to swap stories and info about how this area began and developed.
I was in South Harringay school yesterday which was once a girls grammar and was delighted to see that they have preserved all the old wood panelling and the names of all the Houses ( brackenbury, greaves), their captains and the awards that each house won. A real sense of the past every time you have an assembly.
If it is being recognised that in parts of the borough such as Tottenham High Road and Bruce Grove there are buildings which have historical value then I think the same can be argued for the late Victoriana of Harringay.
Steve, you mention the surviving "recreational facilities of non-ethnic English people up to the middle of the last century".
I say, isn't it time for the surviving English to stand up and yell: "I'm ethnic too!"
(No, I'm not one of those BNP leafleters.)
I didn't really want to go down that avenue... That's a national problem and not a local one.

What I meant was.. The majority of todays's Harringay(...ringey) residents have no connections with these old buildings.
Apart from the fact that they live close to them.
It wasn't their great or grandparents who used them.

As to recreational facilities, I was refering to the Tottenham Palace building. I bet the majority of today's Tottenham residents don't give a monkeys whether it falls down or not... Now me... I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for that place, because that is where my maternal Grandparents met, so therefore I DO care if it falls down or not. That's where I used to go to Saturday morning pictures.. and what a rabble we were too..!
This IS an important issue for us. (See also this discussion).

I think it's critical to preserve good archirecture - not to create a museum. That includes being brave enough to encourage good modern architecture when it's appropriate. There are a couple of roads, Seymour is one, where a bit of spare space has been used to build replica victrian terrace houses recently. What a lost opportunity. Right by highgate pond they've build a starthly modernist house - and I think it works excellently. Why not here. Follow the lead of St Paul's Church where we can and rigourously preserve the best of the old, say I.

So, is it time for a Civic Trust for Harringay?
Yes it is! Can I become a member?

I agree with you about the mix between modern and heritage stuff... thta's why I also take the 'P' out your (UK) fake victorian lamp posts.

It is also something that is really well done in Berlin.. The mix between old and new.
Because Berlin lost so much in the war, there really is a sensibility about preserving old facades. It could be done in Harringay too, but it would also mean that there would have to be more restrictions on house owners as to what they can do to the frontages of their houses.

Here's a couple examples from here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/isarsteve/2596498824/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/isarsteve/2458105183/
seen again here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isarsteve/2451859788/
Fantastiche. With some notable exceptions, we're crap at this in the UK. Witness the new(ish) buidling on Piccadilly betwen an eighteenth century chuch and the art deco Simpsons's building. Instead of building something modern of merit they've built some pastiche oldesque crap. What a lost opportunity.
We had similar discussions in the 'Loving Harringay's Green Lanes' post as well. I guess that it is time to organise something along the lines of a civic trust . Haringey have not shown much interest in these matters but they like 'flags, plaques and photos' (for the pages of Haringey People) so might respond to pressure.
You can see the full list of Haringey Statutory Listed buildings and their list of local listed buildings at:
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/housing_and_planning/planning-main...
They are quite long lists and have some very interesting buildings amongst them.
It’s also interesting to look at the details of the 28 conservation areas, although only a few detailed Character Assessments are available.
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/housing_and_planning/planning-main...

There are several Conservation Area Consultative Committees in existence; both the Hornsey and Tottenham ones should cover the Harringay area. Either, or both of these, can be contacted via;
HHS Conservation conservation@hornseyhistorical.org.uk or
Ann Robertson robbotwix@aol.com

I’m not sure what more a Civic Trust for Harringay would add to the groups already working to try and preserve the heritage of both Tottenham and Hornsey. There is a danger in having too many groups in that they can detract from each other and offer the authorities the chance of ‘divide and rule’. It might be better to join with the existing groups and support their campaigns.
You're right that there are already groups in existence John. I'm on the Totenham CS mailing list. But neither they nor any of the other groups seem to pay any regard to Harringay - but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems to me of Harringay that it's not front of mind. To get things done here you need local people with a stake in the area who really care about it's future. Oterwise people's focus is directed at Tottenham or Hornsey & Crouch End.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service