Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Sponsors "Views of Stroud Green" Booklet. Would we want one for Harringay?

This booklet has led to some discussion over on the Stroud Green Residents' Association Yahoo Group.

Would we want one for Harringay? For me I think it would depend on the level of political control. Any thoughts?

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good idea. Very good idea. But, it has to be independent. I'm happy to shoot photos if someone has a digital SLR (otherwise its my film camera). Cost? Funding? Guess Mishka Henner or other person on Stroud Green project could give us some idea. Paul MacKay & John Hinselwood would be interested in the people history bit.

Think a group needs setting up for this one; Views of Harringay (?!) or maybe Harringay People :) . Obviously a medium term project this one, but I like the idea.
Or what are the possibilities of an annual calendar format - or a desk/wall almanac page-per-week planner sort of thing - with, say, two-thirds of the page for photos and text and a further dozen pages for a larger splash of views and points of view ?
Does anyone buy or use such things nowadays?
Well Hugh, this booklet was produced by the Neighbourhood Management service of the Council and I suggest that the level of political control was total!

And speaking as a council tax-payer as well as a Stroud Greener, I have to say that it would also depend on the level of cost! We don't know that yet. And er, the small matter of, What is the point of this booklet?

I don't know if this book is available in libraries outside Stroud Green so I don't know if you've actually seen a copy. It has been produced lavishly. It isn't actually free to print and publish. I wonder who pays for it in the long run? ...
The What is the point was the rub for me. I'd be fascinated to learn if there was a project brief and if so, what objectives were set. If not, on what grounds was the expenditure appproved?
Recommend you get a copy while stocks last! (you helped pay for this too!). From 'Neighbourhood Management' at the back of the book:

"The aim of this booklet was to visually highlight the different mix of people living and working in the Stroud Green area. In addition, gain a range of opinions on what the community like and dislike about the area and services and how they can be improved. These views will aid neighbourhood management in establishing the priorities for the area, improve services by working with other council services, organisations and the local community." (emphasis added)

I guess this formula could be repeated in any Ward, i.e. to visually highlight the different mix of people in Harringay (or any other Ward).

I just repeat my question, what is the point of this book?
It sounds as though political control was an issue during the production. I don't think you would see this page in ... err... 'Haringey People' for example.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_oojQSV1coUE/SBxL6ZIvTzI/AAAAAAAABKE/V8k7csv...

'What is the point' indeed.
''What is the point''

It's to introduce the characters of our area, the contributions they have and do make, to represent the diversity & history & culture of Harringay (eg. man who runs Greek shop on St Anns rd and I know several people who have lived all their lives in Falkland Rd who have stories of going to the local school etc).

Stroud Green's negative contributions (e.g. woman with dog bemoaning how unsafe in Finsbury Park she feels) are not the sort of thing I'd include.

So, I'd see the booklet/calender as a positive reflection of our richly diverse community and emphasize the historical perspective rather than use it as a service document for the council (as Clive refers).
I'm not trying to be difficult or obtuse, but I'm not sure what you mean by "characters of the area". Why do I, or does anybody, need introducing to the lucky 30 characters? Stroud Green Ward holds about 20 thousand residents and many of these would also be characters. But only 30 characters were selected (by someone) for inclusion in "Views of Stroud Green". What was the basis for selection I wonder?

Perhaps I was not included as am not a character, or because there wasn't space. I am sure that my views of SG would be every bit as trite and banal as the comments of the officially selected characters. Some of the other 19,970 odd other residents are making contributions also - but they were left out. Many of these would have stories too. Who selected and filtered the opinions of the characters of the area? It is a beautifully printed and produced publication, but it is not cost-free. I say again: what is the point of this book?
I'm inclined to agree with Clive that it would be difficult to decide who to select to give a wide cross section (Do we interview one of the Cavendish Road teens to get their perspective?). I would favour something more ambitious in the form of some sort of exhibition of photographs, history and oral history from which you would get an exhibition catalogue. The recent Postcards from Finsbury Park in the now sadly defunct gallery:space was very successful and made me think that a exhibition of a similar sort with some of the photos etc on here would be good. Just need a venue and a curator really (not asking for much, eh?). I would avoid allowing too much control/input from Haringey Council as they too often seek to impose their own agenda on things.
Most things are subjective. As to what, who, how; that's obviously up for debate. Representation is key I guess, not inclusiveness of all.

People on this site for example (and via other means) could be asked to nominate a 'character' in their street, who may or may not want to contribute their story/photo. The Green Lanes Traders Assoc (or whatever they're called) could do the same. Etc.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service