Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Following this discussion about the Online Consultation portal, I sent an email to Lorna Reith,

"I am writing to you to express my concern about the effectiveness of the the online consultation portal that the Council have set up. I have tried to use it on two occasions and have found the site very difficult to negotiate.
I have registered to use it now and have left a comment on the Wood Green SPD but am surprised to discover, through correspondence with the department responsible for this consultation, that comments made are not published until one month after the consultation closes even though the document implies by the way it is set up that you will be able to see what people have written.

I fully understand the reasoning that the council came to the decision not to
have comments visible before the end of the consultation, as they want comments on the document not discussion, but I would suggest that it is counter productive that when you click on the "Who said what?" button that you are told there are no comments on the document. This implies that nobody is bothering to comment and psychologically, I feel that people will not attempt to add comments on a website that appears to have no traffic. A simple remedy for this would be for the welcome page to register the number of comments, if not the actual content, although a simple process of delaying publication of responses for 24 hours would enable officials to weed out the irrelevant and still allow informed comment to be read by interested parties. A comment counter would make people feel like the document was part of an active consultation process.

I am therefore requesting a number of things:
1. Please could you review the current layout of the website and introduce a
user friendly welcome page that would explain about how commenting works, why people need to register quite so many of their personal details (another thing which may put people off) and what to expect once their comment has been registered.

2. To do away with comment buttons and "Who said what" links and introduce a simple counter system which tells people how many comments have been left.The interface is unnecessarily busy and over complex as it stands.

3. Many national government pages have discussion forums on their documents for consultation. It would be useful for Haringey to introduce something like this to allow for general comments. This of course could be moderated to safeguard against abuse.

4. In the correspondence, I learned that NO comments on the Housing SPD were made online which surprises me given the strength of feeling on the housing issue in the borough. Therefore, I would like to know how much the Limehouse portal cost to set up and maintain. Given that there has been apparently little traffic on it so far I am wondering whether it represents either effective community consultation or value for money."

The amazingly efficient and well organized (no sarcasm intended, she really is the only one who has responded regularly and in full to my enquiries), Ms Reith secured the attached reply to my concerns from Sule Nisancioglu, Head of Planning Policy and Design.
(it is 3 pages long and so better as an attachment, I think)

Tags for Forum Posts: Limehouse, Reith, consultation, online portal

Views: 43

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm glad you got a reply, but I'm not sure it tell us very much. One thing I did take from it is that the system costs £70k for three years and most comments are made, not via the portal but by letter or email. Not unreasonable to question the value for money. I wonder what the current equivalent cost per response isI very much doubt use will increase much given the current complexity of the system.
Lorna invited me to comment further on the letter which is why I published it here as I thought if I got some discussion going, I could get back to her with our main points. I would question that with the poor traffic on it at present whether it is cost effective too.
The officer does defend the cost, explaining that it is used to present back the written and email responese too - still a very expensive way to do that, I think.
I sent a similar letter to another councillor (Cllr Amin) but have not heard back yet, so I agree that Lorna Reith is certainly efficient!

Like Hugh, am not sure what the contents tell us. It doesn't explain why this all singing and all dancing system has 'who says what' buttons that don't .. er ... tell you who said what. That seems a fairly fundamental error, and one which their non-technical user test didn't pick up!

I'll be really interested to see the comments once all the other responses are added to the ones collected via the Limehouse Portal. It would be interesting to know the final breakdown by how the comments were made (ie email, LImehouse, letter) but am guessing that won't be made public?
Ooh goody I got my reply today. It is exactly the same as Liz's only a week or so later. I'll try not to take it personally ...
Labour's Central Communications Command Unit is working well then. :)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service