Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello all, Hugh suggested I ask this here. Would you say that Seven Sisters is a distinct area of London? If so, what do you think its extent is (where are its boundaries?) and what do you think characterises the area? (I've checked the Wikipedia entry but it's a bit sparse and I'd like to get several opinions anyway.)

The reason I ask is that on my trawls around the interweb I discovered a blog about eating out in North London which describes certain places as being in Seven Sisters. I help run a website about London which categorises its entries by (among other things) what we call "locales", i.e. neighbourhoods, areas, whatever you want to call them. So I'm very interested in understanding where people think things are, and what people think the different areas of London are actually like, what differentiates them from each other. (Hugh gave us a lot of help with our Harringay page.)

Tags for Forum Posts: geography, seven sisters

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it has perhaps become a distinct area.. but before the opening of the tube in 1968 Seven Sisters Corner was more well known in the area as Ward's Corner.
These days, people often say they live at Seven Sisters. I must say this irritates me a bit, because they really live do in Tottenham.
Thanks, Stephen! And great blog post; I enjoyed reading it. So would you say Seven Sisters is an area within South Tottenham? Or is it that people have started calling South Tottenham "Seven Sisters" instead? Or is there overlap but neither area contained within the other?
I would say, although I'm not up to date on this, people use Seven Sisters instead of South Tottenham. Although the area around Chestnuts Park is still South Tottenham and not Seven Sisters.

I've added a photo on flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/isarsteve/2576715941/
but haven't put it on HOL because it's a bit OT.

BTW, The old three storey Seven Sisters School on Braemar Road was a grim old building, have you ever seen photos of it?
Thank you! Most helpful. I wonder if anyone else has any opinions.

I haven't seen photos of that school, no — have you got any?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service