Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

How many members on your ladder road .... and the winner is? + some really bizarre comment deviation!

Number of members on your road (as at 11th June 2008);

Sydney 8
Raleigh 9
Hampden 10
Lausanne 12
Frobisher 1
Falkland 16
Fairfax 24
Effingham 15
Beresford 20
Allison 25
Hewitt (Hughit) 47 Winner
Seymour 26
Warham 21
Pemberton 16
Mattison 12
Duckett 6
Cavendish 13
Burgoyne 16
Umfreville 15
Wightman 26
Green Lanes 34

Total number 'ladder' members: 372 (of total site members 647, or 57%)

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's interesting how there's a cluster of roads in the middle of the ladder with higher numbers. I think Hewitt's number is slightly over. At my last update I had 43. I think there a few members from Hewitt Avenue N22 included in that 47. I've never really understood Frobisher. It was only about a month ago that we got oour first (and only) member.

I'm pleased that we're getting lots of members for non-ladder roads too. After all this is a Harringay site rather than a Ladder one. So if you have any friends in the Gardens or elsewhere, please do encourage them to join.
Forbisher surprised me too as I know of at least one other member on that road, unless they de-registered!

I ran out of time to do the Gardens roads. My son was pestering to get onto Disney Playhouse. :)
'Tis easy. Hugh has extra-special powers that radiate out from his base in Hewitt Road (I think??) and force those who live near him to join.

God you can tell I'm off work today. I am ill honest...
There's definitely some radiating force field pulsing out from the top of Hewitt Rd, with nearest residents getting the full dose. ;)
I'm getting mighty sick of all this Ladder petty whinge whinge whinge. I always reply to every campaign in Haringey as an independent resident. I accidently came to live in Harringay not in the ladder or the gardens. I like Liz's up to date list of what's on and the great photographs, but you can stick the rest.

Sorry you feel that way Margaret, but if I may, let me just challenge the facts that underlie your sentiments.

Firstly what you call whinging, I would call a healthy airing of pent-up frustrations about real issues that affect people's lives in Harringay. I know that you share the same sense of frustration with many people on this site, for example about betting shops, HMOs, park improvement and so on. The aim of this site is that people's venting then turns to action, which it already has and which is developing more as the site matures. This is critical to changing things. Some people however do not have the time or perhaps inclination to do any more than read and/or comment. That's their choice.

Responding to issues as an independent resident is great, and I know you personally put a lot of energy into seeking to influence those things you care about. But things won't change to the extent that they need to unless we take strength from acting together. Which brings me to my next point.

With regards to it being Ladder whinging, I think if you reread the discussions you'll find that concern around most issues is shared across all areas of Harringay. I hope as the site develops we get more people from the Gardens and other non-Ladder areas.
Sorry, but I intend to go on as usual and harrass David Lammy and Brian Haley as I have been doing for years and I certainly don't intend to reread the discussions, they're not great literature. I usually go to observe council meetings for my kicks. I have lived in the borough for 30 years and my family have had many good and bad experiences in all areas of Haringey. I am as concerned about Wards Corner development and closing schools as I am about Wood Green which I consider beyond help at present. I am concerned about the state of Green Lanes because that was what brought me to this area and it certainly wouldn't now. I am not concerned about traffic on the ladder. It has to go somewhere and the roads down my way are completely choked. Try some rerouting around the gardens where traffic used to circulate . When my family were at school in South Tottenham in the 1980s, part of the Social Studies fieldwork consisted of visiting Wood Green and trying to work out traffic routes and suggesting what retail areas should be there. When my sons and daughters now visit me from Suffolk, Turkey and Africa, they always have a good laugh that none of their classes' ideas were taken up but there is more of a mess than there used to be. Sorry again for my non participation but I'm not a group person unless the discussion vitally concerns me and at the moment only the polyclinic debacle and the destroying of the historic significance of Wards Corner does. How many people who read this blog actually attend and sign in at meetings to keep GPs surgeries and support the speakers at Overview and Scrutiny Committee meetings, or sign petitions on the street and at the Green Fair stalls etc? Actually being counted out there is very important and that is the way I intend to continue before I give up on it all and return to work in the developing world.
hello Margaret, thank you for the nice comment about the what's on list but I fear I cannot take credit for it all, Hugh posts a lot of stuff (sometimes things I've already done to make extra work for himself!).
For what its worth, the way I see this site is a virtual extension of the real community. It is very revealing to see what options people pick about reasons for joining the site and many of them opt for 'making friends' or 'share local knowledge' and do not (at that stage) reveal themselves to be interested in local campaigns or initiatives which is fair enough and reflects the community outside. However, I like to think that sometimes they read the comments on here and it gets them thinking, typos and all:)
With regard to issues, I think they can often be categorised; some are Haringey wide such as the polyclinics and should concern all residents of the borough but others may affect only parts of the borough. An example might be the persistent flytipping which is endemic in Tottenham and pretty bad in Harringay but I doubt keeps the good ratepayers of Muswell Hill awake at night, and for this reason it is important to keep up dialogue and discuss action across wards who share problems. Then there are ward issues, such as traffic, which may have little effect on those in neighbouring areas. Finally there will be problems specific to small parts of a ward, such as the Harringay Passage, which would not concern those who do not need to use it or live near it.
The point I'm (very longwindedly) trying to make is that it is understandable if some issues discussed on here may not seem relevant to all members and those people should not feel that one small group of people are simply whinging or putting their 'problems' above others. It is simply a small group of people considering their options ( I have nothing to say in 'bollards in the Gardens' discussion for example but I read with interest and hope that the people who are affected can use the site to resolve problems) and others are free to join in or ignore as they wish.
I do go to meetings and signed stuff at the Green Fair and write constantly to councillors etc about the issues that worry me and I do participate in discussions on here, but not everyone who joins the site has done so to get involved in campaigning and that should not be a problem. For those of us who are interested it is an excellent way of connecting, finding out how to get involved, getting confidence to join in through support from others and (as one member said today in so many words) finding our voices. After all, we all have to start somewhere.
Oh, and I think the photos are wonderful too, giving people who have chosen to live here a sense of history and place.
I've noticed a few blonde children around the ladder lately, does Hugh keep his spaceship in his back garden?
Waaaat?
you not seen the Midwich Cookoos

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service