Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

How many members on your ladder road .... and the winner is? + some really bizarre comment deviation!

Number of members on your road (as at 11th June 2008);

Sydney 8
Raleigh 9
Hampden 10
Lausanne 12
Frobisher 1
Falkland 16
Fairfax 24
Effingham 15
Beresford 20
Allison 25
Hewitt (Hughit) 47 Winner
Seymour 26
Warham 21
Pemberton 16
Mattison 12
Duckett 6
Cavendish 13
Burgoyne 16
Umfreville 15
Wightman 26
Green Lanes 34

Total number 'ladder' members: 372 (of total site members 647, or 57%)

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

isnt someone interrupting a perfectly happy discussion how many members in each street to whinge about whingers for no apparent reason, is technically a whinger themselves?
It certainly was random!
New Zealanders are always whinging....
Ah but your whinging is constructive...any man that pursues heavy vehicles the way you do deserves to have us listen to you complain about them!
The London Kiwi women I've met (not talking backpackers here) are uncompromising, certainly have their opinions, always getting straight to the point and very active, often in the community too. Don't forget, they come from a line of pioneering Brits, Irish & a few other European nations who left behind family to jump on a ship (and never see that family again) ... only to find acres of bush needed clearing on arrival in NZ before they could set up camp! That's after 6 weeks of being on a boat. The men? They were off fighting/trading whisky or guns for land/nicking the women from the Maori's!

The words below come from a website where I found the above photo;

It was E.J.Wakefield who first decided to offer helpful suggestions to the public as to what type of person should come out to the new colony in his booklet "Advice to Intending Colonists" which was published for the New Zealand Company in London.
This was later summarised, from a woman's point of view, by an emigrant already in New Zealand. She told it like it was and placed would be emigrants into these categories:-
(a) Those who should venture to emigrate. These should be strong and of good constitution and be prepared to ROUGH IT, work hard and can live and thrive on those things that are cheap to buy. Men of speculative tendencies, good business habits, and sufficient money to get them started in some business. Tradesmen of all types, the hard working class, for wages are better than in the old country and food is cheap.
(b) Those who should never venture out. Well to do ladies and gentlemen from high class families--this class of person is utterly useless in the colony and will suffer great hardships. People on low incomes from England who's money will not go far in the colony, for 30/- a week would be no more than £1 a week at home. Food is cheaper but everything else is dearer.
Others, who's characters are not suited to colonial life, are those who are sympathetic, imaginative, poetic and refined in their tastes. These will be the ones who will pine for home and the companionship of their life in the old country.

This last paragraph made me laugh! No wonder rugby is still NZ's no.1 interest ...LOL.
I've given up on opening this discussion. I am a New Zealander who lives in London and have family who have married into families in Turkey and Africa and East Anglia, I also spend time in Stuttgart. Therefore I am as concerned about affairs in Aldeburgh, Izmir, Zimbabwe , DRCongo and Ethiopia as I am in Haringey. As I said before it is a complete accident that I came to live in this borough but I have done a lot of campaigning here in the last 30 years. I have only been back in this country for 1 year and find that in common with many African women I've met it is better to ignore criticism and get on and do what you yourself can do to support the affairs of your community.
I have never said I was not a whinger, just ask my family, especially my ex-husband about that! However whinging to the Council can get surprising things done . I find it quite interesting that anyone should have bothered to comment on my petty comments. As I say, I have now moved on from this discussion.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service