Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

John McMullan is doing an excellent job of pursing serial humpers; namely lorries/skip trucks over 7 tonnes using the 'ladder' roads, when the shouldn't be and making a racket, as well as shaking the foundations of houses as they go over the speed control humps/sleeping policemen(persons).

From the above link you'll see he has been in conversation with lady at office of O'Donovan's, a waste mgmt company (ie. provider of skips). Lady at said office has promised to get the skip drivers to stop using ladder roads. She'll have 'a word' she said. John has suggested that if this doesn't happen his list of number plates will go to the police.

John's favourite number plate is Y666MOD. Well guess what, serial humper Y666MOD has just been seen humping itself all the way up Falkland Rd; time data: 10:55am 11/06/08

Time to name and shame folks.

Add your serial humpers here.

Tags for Forum Posts: Lorries on the Ladder, heavy lorries, heavy lorry, lorries, lorry, skips, speed humps, traffic

Views: 584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How do you know if it weighs over 7 tonnes?
Good question.

All trucks should be required to show their weight (without goods) via a symbol (sticker) attached clearly to rear and front of vehicle. Until this is done here are some pictures to give people an idea of what is/isn't 7 tonne or greater.

Of course this doesn't take into account loaded vehicles.

3.5 tonne

4 tonne

7.5 tonnes

7.5 tonnes

As for skip trucks, the nice lady at RTS Waste Management tells me that a skip truck loaded with an empty 12yd skip weighs betw 9.6 - 9.8 tonnes. So even with a standard 8yd skip the truck is over the 7 tonne limit for ladder roads.

Photos of offenders please ladies and gentlemen. And I'll be quite happy to take these along to the next Police Ward Panel meeting. :)
I work from home and for some time have had a camera permanently setup looking out of the window of my home. I have dozens of photos I've been taking over the last year or so, which includes massive 40 ton articulated trucks that somehow got round the top and then down Pemberton Road. I also have been recording the cracks that are getting longer and wider in some of my ceilings and walls, I believe the staggeringly heavy vibration caused by these vehicles is contributing to. The vibration is so severe in my house that you can sometimes tell which of the road humps nearby is being driven over by the direction in which the house shakes! The seven ton limit is regularly ignored by truck drivers for whome the Ladder roads including Pemberton Road are 'the rat run of choice', and something should be done about it. I even saw a Haringey parking attendent who had been working on Green Lanes, cross the bottom of Pemberton Road right in front of a plainly overweight truck, and seemed to do nothing about it. He looked at it just before crossing to check he wasn't going to be run over by it, and then crossed without giving it a second glance. I would love to release some of my pics to you if they are going to seen by someone who might actually care if any of the children at the primary school on Pemberton Road have less luck than the parking attendent, and are crushed by these types of vehicle sooner or later.
I do actually go outside and check to see if any of the overweight trucks continue on to the end of the road, or whether they did actually need to stop on Pemberton Road. (Some skip trucks do make stops to pick up skips, so I can't use the picture I took and some are food supply vehicles stopping to unload at the bottom for the shops on Green Lanes).
In fact I have been studying the road hump problem pretty closely, and it seems that the main reason for the vibration is the trailing slope, and not the lead slope of the hump. As vehicle suspension is compressed as the vehicle travels over the hump, the energy is stored in the suspension which is then released suddenly as the wheels 'fall' off the end of the hump, BECAUSE THE TRAILING ENDS OF THE SLOPES TAPER OFF TOO QUICKLY, AND DO NOT SMOOTHLY JOIN THE EXISTING ROAD SURFACE. The raised tables that cross the road at Harringay Passage on Pemberton and Mattison Road have a good 1 metre slope and also neatly join the road surface thereby generating far less vibration. The WHOLE of this seven ton limit thing and the vibration we and our homes are suffering is because of the poor tolerance of manufacture of the road humps in the first place. Some of the humps on some roads (when driven over by me) seem to shake my vehicle far more than others, and it varies from road to road and hump to hump. I think the humps on the Ladder were made by several different road 'gangs' and each road gang had a different idea of what constitutes an effective road hump. In fact there are actually central government guidelines on the dimensions a road hump should be, based on much exhaustive testing on them. Ladder Road road humps are nowhere near the dimensions set by the guidelines, which call for a 1:10 incline on the leading and trailing slopes. Some are as bad as 1:4 (really steep) which is why we get such excessive levels of vibration. Unfortunately the guidelines no longer take effect at speed limits of 20mph or less, so we're stuck with poor road humps that don't take into account of the heavy weight traffic that uses the Ladder roads.
I notice that John McMullan in his response about the refuse trucks mention that they 'creep up his street like in the Carlsberg ads'. Unfortunately for me though, they 'fly' down Pemberton Road (a one way street descending down to Green Lanes) and in the past I have had to report them to Accord themselves on many an occasion as they are plainly breaking the speed limit too (although not recently)... They are the worst offenders for causing vibration, not so much for the excessiveness of the vibration, but because of the regularity. Six or seven house shakings every day of the week, all year round. Accord suggested the vehicles weigh 28 tons, which is four times the weight limit. I suggest, that if it's custom and practice to use Pemberton Road as a cut through and not for any rubbish collection on the street itself as regularly as they do, it would be courteous to go at a speed that reflected the vehicle weight - and go at a quarter of the speed limit...
Attachments:
Casper, I've sent you a 'friend request' to discuss this further privately. Click on icon top left hand corner of page.
Why discuss this privately?

I want help setting up a camera like this in my front window!

Although... I've not had any O'Donovan's skip trucks for the last two days.
This truck was the one that Rachael followed to the Hornsey railway works and spoke to the driver. He said he had been told to go down there... We got a couple of photos of him then too.
........what weight are the trucks which the council contracts to tow cars away.....??
Council and Accord vehicles creep up my street just like in the Carslberg advertisement when they are not collecting rubbish. I have deliberately left them out of this - I didn't even mention it to the council although I have taken a few pictures of them.
LOL, yes they are way over 7 tonnes .....BANNED!! No access to Ladder Rds allowed.

I feel some posters coming on from our resident rebel graphic designer. :)
Has anyone seen any skip trucks from O'Donovans using the ladder since Thursday?

I haven't!

It looks like what we do is compile a modest list of registration number/company/time+date of visit and then ring the company directly. You will need this list to counter their standard response of "we do have a skip in road". Of course, nobody but skip companies can defend themselves in this way...
Ah, actually I just spoke to a friend from Hewitt rd who says she thinks there are a lot more just recently on her road. Perhaps they're just mixing it up a bit. ?
O'Donovans is now serial humping up Falkland Rd, although quite carefully. Clearly John's chat with O'Donovans wasn't taken to mean no use of all Ladder roads.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service