Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Offences in premises in Green Lanes have increased by 145 per cent and "disconcerted" (gambling) customers are being blamed.

Police crack down on betting shop rage
By Charlotte Gray

Police are to carry radios linked directly to betting shops in Green Lanes because angry customers are smashing machines.

Harringay Safer Neighbourhood Team has revealed plans to carry emergency radios for use solely by gambling premises in the area after an increase in criminal damage.

Offences in premises in Green Lanes have increased by 145 per cent and "disconcerted" customers are being blamed.

Last month police reported 49 offences compared to just 20 in May last year.

Haringey police would not name the affected premises for security reasons but a spokesman said: "In many of the offences, the damage has been caused by a disconcerted customer having lost on a gaming machine and subsequently smashing the machine.

"Harringay Safer Neighbourhoods Team is working with the venues to try to introduce a radio system linking the venues to each other and to police.

"This system should enable venues to communicate with and warn each other if they are experiencing difficulty with a customer and also to contact the Safer Neighbourhoods Team directly, during their shift, to deal with suspects."

He said the plans were still in the early stages and was unable to give an indication of the costs or who would be footing the bill.

Mario Petrou, who has campaigned against betting shops in Green Lanes, said: "I think the types of machines causing these problems have been desribed as the crack cocaine of gambling machines. They are highly addictive and induce the poorer sections of society and most vulnerable people to try their luck on them.

"I think it's unfair to target those that have been seduced by these machines. I would prefer to see the police actually focus their efforts on the operators of these premises. It should be their responsibility to ensure their premises are operated without these machines that lead to people causing crime and wasting police resources."

Sergeant Ian Pyles, speaking at St Ann's and Harringay area assembly meeting on Tuesday, said: "All these premises are going to get licences but I'm gathering evidence for when we can object. I'm storing the evidence and it will be used later."

8:15am today

http://www.muswellhilltimes.co.uk/display.var.2329977.0.police_crac...

Tags for Forum Posts: betting shops, gambling

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not in Harringay I know, but I was having some lunch time refreshments outside a pub near Old Street a couple of weeks ago which happened to be opposite a bookies.

The door swung open and a well dressed mid thirties man started punching everything he could swing out including the glass in the door. I can only assume he backed the three legged mule on the 1.20 at Uttoxeter?

The police arrive shortly after to get statements, he was one peed off fella!
Was it my husband? :)
Seriously though, it is a concern. It's the FOB machines that send people loopy like that. That awful realisation that you've put your weeks wages in there, and there ain't no getting it back!
There's a guy on Green lanes that begs every last penny he can, watch where he goes...straight into Ladbrokes and onto the machines.
Welcome Betterbet...another 'crack den' for the chronic gambler

Sorry Justin I deleted your comment. You're a Conservative councillor. Party politicking not allowed, even if it was meant jovially.
"You're a Conservative councillor" - I wish! For those who didn't see my post, I made a joke out of something Biry__Too wrote regarding somebody gambling and losing money (hint, hint). I also said something like "Sorry, Ed, but I couldn't help that one..."
Apologies, I stand corrected. You are Chairman of the Tottenham Conservatives. I recognise it was a joke Justin and were it not for your political office, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. I ask that anyone with any sort of political office just keeps politics right out of, jokes or otherwise, and sticks to the issues.

I have politicans from every political party accusing this site of bias. I have always tried to keep party politics right out of it.

As I've said to you before you are always welcome to comment on the issues or express any opinion which isn't speaking to party politics.
I wish one or more of the betting shops would get smashed up by frustrated customers. Would that not be sweet justice?
I was thinking of opening a baseball bat shop next door, with a "buy one get one free" offer, then again, if someone's just lost a bet, they wouldn’t have enough money to buy a bat in the first place :(.
Maybe a "test before you buy" policy might work..? :D

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service