Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Walking down the hill just now, I chanced upon a neighbour choosing fish from the back of a very smart looking Mercedes van.

I had to find out more. The guy's name is Craig. He's from Grimsby. He buys his fish from the dock, drives down here on a Monday and delivers to Crouch End, Muswell Hill Stoke Newington and Harringay, driving back home on a Thursday. Apparently fleets of one-man bands leave Grimsby to all over the country every week. All news to me.

On the way back up the hill I knocked at my neighbour's door to see what she thought of him - a glowing report. There seem to be a least half a dozen people using him in Hewitt. If you're already a customer, let us know what you think. Harringay is Mondays.

I'm going to give him a whirl next week - that's if I'm not shooting myself in the foot by posting this up here.

His phone number is 077 6875 6472

Tags for Forum Posts: fish, food

Views: 504

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any idea what choice of fish?
Is there any fish left off the shores of Grimsby?
I reckon these guys are selling a nice little story ... after having just popped up the road from Billingsgate.
Where`s he from in Grimsby. We have one that comes to our area in Woodford Green. My wife has met him and they had a good old chinwag as my wife only came to London two years ago from Grimsby.
Perhaps one of his customers may be able to tell you. In the meantime, ya cynics, there's a phone number.
I bought some fish from him a few months ago and to be honest I felt like I had been ripped off, I worked out (after he had disappeared!) that I would have been cheaper buying from an online devon fishery. Anyway I was also disappointed with the taste and amount given in each pack....thats just my experience however, maybe I got a bad batch ;-)
Interesting. Not what you call a local business, but hopefully he is good and does a bit better than the fish shop on Seymour Road, which has now sadly closed due to a lack of custom.
Very disappointed at the news that the fish shop is closed. We bought fish from there most weekends but clearly one family's regular custom isn't going to keep him in business. We will now need to go to Wood Green, Stroud Green or, Sainsbury's for fish. A great shame to lose a local business like this.
Totally agree, Liz. It was a real shame. The owner said he simply wasn't making any money, so there was no point living here and being so far from the family he was working to support. I don't think many of us could imagine what it is like to work every day and not see your children for more than a year, and still have your business fail.

We see stories in the papers about the affect of rising food prices, but it's still really sad when it hits the people and businesses you care about. It certainly makes me feel guilty for moaning about the few extra pence we're paying here and there on our groceries.
Craig is great and very genuine - and his fish is good quality and very reasonable. (if not entirely ethically fished... - no MSC certifications) I've had halibut, salmon, haddock, icelandic cod, and his kippers are just amazing!

Don't confuse him at all with the other guys who try and sell you fish in packets at your door. They really are out to make a fast buck and rip you off.
Is there still a fishing industry in Grimsby?!

If it's the same people who came knocking on our door a couple of years ago I found them pushy and patronising tbh. If not then apologies.

I'm all for supporting small businesses etc but something didn't ring true. Same goes for the milkman who called round - we had to guarantee a minimum order with no trial period - and it was pretty expensive.

Reminded me of my youth when groups of young people or students tried to sell us lovely foil art . I got talking to one or 2 people who explained their predicament; they were bussed down from the NE and Liverpool and lived in caravans etc for a weeks at a time and had to earn their living this way (commission only of course)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service