Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

We'll be doing some regular Muna's gatherings starting next weekend (see discussion under local news) or the weekend after — not sure yet whether it should be Friday night, Saturday night, or Sunday Roast, nor whether it should be an organised event, or just a weekly (monthly?) time when people can all show up and eat and be sociable (political or cultural? soulful or raucous?). PLEASE SEND COMMENTS WITH YOUR PREFERENCES ABOUT THE BEST TIME(S) FOR YOU! I'll also consult with Muna herself to see if she has an opinion.

Meanwhile, there are a couple of other local businesses that deserve a mention, and deserve community support:

1. Scorpios Pharmacy, on corner of Green Lanes & Falkland Road. I once left a pound or two in change on the counter. An hour or two later, there was a knock on our door. The forgotten change was hand-delivered! (He'd tracked our address down in an old prescription file.) Many other helpfulnesses too. (So think twice before you buy your toothpaste and medicines at the supermarket next time.)

2. The flower shop just north of Muna's — don't recall the name. The ladies there have come up with some amazing arrangements, almost always at about half (or a quarter) the price I was expecting to pay, and then they often add in some extras out of the goodness of their hearts. Even the stingiest little selection is always treated as if it were to be presented to the Queen. Perfectionism and generosity are rarely found together in the same enterprise — usually you have to settle for one or the other, or more likely neither.

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would prefer a Friday night but can't make this Friday coming, the following weekend (6th) is better for me. Will discuss the failure of grassroots politics in this country with you then (I did read your post!)
Just tried phoning Muna but she's out at the moment, so I probably won't get her input until Tuesday evening.

I'm thinking the best approach might be to have a Harringay On-Line table where folks could meet at a set time every week, but make one monthly time a more special occasion, in which we'd carry on our discussions in person, possibly even with a vague agenda as long as it doesn't get in the way of just hanging out and having a nice time.

This reminds me.... About twenty years ago (how time flies), I was part of something we called The St. James Supper Club that met monthly on Long Island (NY), usually at a farmhouse at our local organic farm. We all brought homemade food to share at a buffet, and after supper we had an hour or two of proposals and discussions, and sometimes a guest speaker. Because we all had different priorities and opinions, and some of us furiously disagreed, it was designed to allow everyone who wanted to make something happen to share their proposed event or project with the group — BUT the St. James Supper Club itself never endorsed anything. Whoever wanted to join in could do so; others were free to say why they wouldn't be caught dead doing such an idiotic thing. Because we never decided anything as a group, the atmosphere stayed warm and cordial and quite a lot of worthwhile activity was generated (until one night when our host freaked out and we disbanded; most of the rest of us went back to being the local chapter of the Earth First eco-movement). Obviously, we'll be eating Muna's food, not our own, and I don't think our host(ess) will turn out to be a psychopath, but otherwise this "supper club" format might work nicely. Discussions can be on any topic anyone wants to introduce, with appropriate times agreed on to allow everyone to share their ideas. And if no one has anything to propose or discuss, so much the better — then we can feel free to focus on eating, flirting, or whatever.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service