Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Has anyone else had problems with these night visitors?
We live not too far from Green Lanes - close enough to the bins behind anyway - and seem to have a problem with coackroaches every summer. They are really disgusting and despite being told by nice pest control people that they do not think they are living in our house, we are constantly in fear of them reappearing.
I got up for work this morning and found one scuttling around. I managed to kill it but I am sure it is a hollow victory.
Has anyone else found a long-term solution to this problem, or do you just have to hope that the mice eat them in the end?

Tags for Forum Posts: cockroaches, pests, property

Views: 432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a problem about 8 years ago and found that if you're able to put little lines of ant powder down safely at their point/s of entry to the building and and favourite haunts, yoou should do for them fairly quickly.
Sticky traps work quite well. Pest control and various shops have them. Put behind fridge, stove and under kitchen cupboard units. Green Lanes/ the Ladder area is infested with cockroaches according to my many chats with pest control.
The Council's pest control will come and treat your house for not much and we've found that pretty effective though it's best if you (a) get it done each year and (b) persuade your neighbours either side to get it done too. The downside is that you'll come down some mornings to find a roach dead or dying on your kitchen/living room floor. The officer that came also told us that the Ladder is pretty much infested, apparently because of the space that runs under all the houses which they use as a roach run.
I don't think they don't need the space under the houses - when I had them I used to see tham outside the back of the house. They were gettig in via the cellar air vents - but don't block these - put ant poison down.
I've had them in my house more than once, unfortunately. They seemed to come from in next door, which at the time was an overcrowded hell-hole. I had the council in to spray several times, and also forced (via the council) the landlord next door to have their house sprayed.
The thing is, when you spray one house, the neighbours should spray too, to make sure you get to as many 'roaches as possible. Where there's one there's normally loads more nearby (sorry!). After a few years of spraying regularly, and after next door was cleaned up, I have hadly seen any. There's the odd one, but nothing like it used to be back in the bad old days. So there's hope!
Unfortunately cockroaches are a part of life on the Ladder / Green Lanes.
It is apparently impossible to get rid of cockroaches, all you can do is to try and control them. Which is what we're doing now, and it seems to work.
Spraying only really kills what's there. It won't have a longer term effect. The ant powder does. I've not had them back - ever.
I hate to tell you this, but we've used the ant powder too, and they still pop in to check up on us from time to time.. Definitely worth using though, as it will kill a fair few.
They say cockroaches are the only things that could survive a nuclear war. I rest my case. :(
I seem to remember that it was a matter of finding the key places to sprinkle it. But maybe I was just lucky.
One could always call in the Power Rangers. My son swears by them. :0
When I lived in Roseberry Gardens we got infested, so we sealed up every tiny hole that they could use to get in and out and put out loads of those sticky traps. We identified them as Japanese water Bugs (if I remember correctly) so we made sure there was never any water in the sink etc, and by the next Cockroach season they had gone, coincidence? Not sure but worth a try. It is good to catch one and identify what you are up against, as they all prefere different environments, even clean ones.
Do not tread on them as this can transfere eggs.
Good luck, as people have said the whole area is infested, but I have not seen any on the Ladder, touch wood
Mine were Orientals (slow and big) , and we've also had the German ones (little and fast). The orientals are the most common ones, apparently. Never heard of the Japanese water bugs, but now I know. I know far more about cockroackes that I thought i'd ever do.. :D
Hi Cml,

I moved into a flat on Green Lanes last year. And I can tell you officially, that the flat was infested with cockroaches. We had pest control come along and they got rid of them, but they said that they will return soon because the flats below are not dealing with the issue themselves. I have been to the flat below, but because they do not speak English it has been heard to communicate effectively the problem - sheesh!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service