Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Good, bad, indifferent?

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who goes first... you or me Liz? Oh go on...!!
Oh yeah, that's right Ben, you suggetsed a counillors' live chat session. Like it!
I like it. If I don't have time to post to - or read - all the latest threads I can still say hello to people.

On my machine it takes a while to show the last few messages. It waits and then delivers 5 or 6 all at once, which makes the chat rather more asynchronous than synchronous (to use the jargon ...). But that might just be my machine/browser/connection rather than the Ning machinery.
I like Ben's idea of using it for themed chats.
Will it distract? Possibly but it does provide a place to have a bit of fun out of the threads.
Some thoughts:
We are back to the issue of cosiness on the site. Will everyone join in or will it put people off as too cliquey? I guess only they can say by giving Hugh feedback on what they think.
Does it look too 'frivolous'? Some like to criticise the site for this already. Will it provide ammunition for those types?
How is it moderated? Do we trust people? (I think so, as most people on here seem to respect the 'rules' about appropriateness)
Does appearing in the "who's online" put people off? You can't lurk anymore! It may do but only others can answer that. Personally I'm not bothered about people knowing I'm there. I don't have to join in.
Its position on the page pushes out the latest activity which is perhaps more important. Any way we can do anything about that?
I personally like being able to make a passing comment about something up there but it would also be useful to have other good ideas for use like Ben's.
And we will never cure Hugh of his shocking spelling...
What I like about it is, that we can be more spontaneous there, than when we write a comment.

Perhaps though, it would be better, to have for instance: say a "Liz's live hour" or "Hugh's half-hour" a semi-moderated chat with a guest.. every say.. tuesday at 19:00**, with for instance, our local "Coach" or a councillor, that is, if they'd be willing to standup and be counted.. even invite Alan Stanton.. just to spend a dedicated hour to answer some questions.
This Live Chat could then be left "open" for the week after, for others to comment on and discuss.

**Whenever you can arrange the time.

Liz said: Does it look too 'frivolous'? Some like to criticise the site for this already. Will it provide ammunition for those types?
What do you mean by that Liz?
Well, in discussions with certain residents groups (not the GRA) about using the website, one opinion expressed was that whenever they came on it just seemed to be 'chat' and therefore did not seem to be very 'useful'. All I meant was that I don't want to see people with that false opinion seemingly having their prejudices confirmed because a couple of people are chatting about the weather or something in the 'chat' bit when they come on. Admittedly, it is a not a widespread opinion but one that I am aware of among certain sections of the local community.
It's a nice idea but I'm afraid I prefer the old style (ie this one). I like the way anyone can join in a conversation hours/months/weeks after it was started as I think this makes it more open to newcomers. With chat it's just those online and perhaps can become a bit cliquey? Is that a word? and if it is, is that how you spell it??

How about live chat on another page like you had a while ago?
> Its position on the page pushes out the latest activity which is perhaps more important. Any way we can do anything about that?

Most sites put 'Live chat' panels / boxes to the right hand side of their site. I agree, I don't think it should be before the 'Latest Activity' panel.

Ben's idea is a good one. Otherwise 'Live chat' is just a play thing.
Well what I've done for now is to put it on its own page. That way anyone ho likes to use it can have that page open on its own tab and continue to use the site as normal. Besta both worlds? Howzat?
Right, so what's our first topic or which honoured guest is it going to be? Any ideas?
Hugh: Let's try that. :)

Liz: Hailey. :)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service