Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

..............3.......2.......1. It's Over and they're off..........

Last Friday Haringey Council decided that they would not appeal the Metrobet decision. Apparently the decison was taken on the basis of the advice from two barristers, one of whom was the guy I've been quoting, Phillip Kolvin. By all accounts their advice was that the Council would be very likely to lose if they fought on. If the situation is as stark as that, I guess the Council had no choice.

So back to my point of a couple of weeks ago - if the Council can't win in Green Lanes then they've lost all hope of having any influence on controlling gambling in the Borough. The only thing that will make a difference is a change to the law. Anyone out there fancy mounting a national campaign?

In the meantime, for Harringay this means:

1. An almost certain abandonment of the case against Better.
2. Metrobet and Better opening in the next few weeks or so.
23 The gaming arcade licensing appeal has been continuing today. The planning inspectorate case has yet to be heard.

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dave Morris's approach with McDonald's was to stand outside and leaflet passers-by. It gets to a business after a while. Makes them feel unwelcome at least. Of course it doesn't close them down but then that's not going to happen anyway. Unless of course the punters drift away. I also have a loud hailer which could be switched on occasionally. :)
Matt, I'll be there with you. And I am serious.
Would anyone mind if I called the Evening Standard about this? Worth a shot, don't you think?
Give the ES a call, oh and try Borris's new office. Let's see what he's really made of.
I'm not surprised but I'm disappointed to say the least. This is terrible news for our community and our high street. The gambling companies now have the whip hand and will no doubt be targeting other high streets. What a shoddy piece of legislation! Let us hope, for the sake of others, that David Lammy and Councillor Canver are successful in their talks with Hazel Blears but I fear it is too late for Green Lanes.
Thank you again to all the campaigners who worked so hard to try and stop this...you could not have done any more.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service