Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Does anyone agree that it be good to have a path through the whole length of Ducketts Common so we could walk along it, rather than along the pavement, on the way to Turnpike Lane?
The pavement is narrow and dangerous - fast vehicles very close, and you get soaked by them when it rains as the drain is often blocked and flooded.

Tags for Forum Posts: Common, Ducketts, path

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, good idea. And replace the railings.
Oh oh, I thought the railings were original? I hope Mr Hugh, that you are not considering "disneyfying" Ducketts Common. Surely renovating and perhaps re-planting the railings would be sufficient?
Sounds a good idea to me - I'll try and use as much of the Common as possible if walking that way (the bus stop and its queue are often blocking most of the pavement) but a path opening near the Queens Head would be good and make that part of the common more accessible.

(Not sure whether Matt is suggesting removing the railings? or repairing the railings?)
Apologies Hugh, I thought you wrote the comment..****but it was in fact (as Alistair reminded me) Matt..

****Shows how little I notice the Avatar!!
good idea and a cycle path as there is literally no space for cyclists along that bit of green lanes towards turnpike lane, its so congested, often 5 or 6 buses jamed together with a few cyclists sandwiched between them. I know its not right that some cyclists take to the pavement on that bit of the road but often they literally have no choice.
Yes, of course a cycle path too.

Yes, the railings have had it I'm afraid. Not only that, the tops are spiked and very, very sharp. Maybe they could cut an inch off the top and then repair/repaint ....
I totally agree that it is weird that walkers are directed out of the common halfway through and that we can't get out at the far end.
There is a friends of Duckett's common who are working with the council to improve it. Adam (on this site) has an email list, adam@tao.org.uk which you can join and there are monthly meetings. The latest news is that there is to be new play equipment (at last) but it may be that what is discussed here is also on the agenda. As Adam has said in Parks and Green space news "parks only really get improved in Haringey when local residents work in partnership with the council."
I absolutely agree that residents have to work with the council on park improvement. I have lived on both sides of the borough during 30 years living in Haringey and remember well when my kids out walking the dog came home with needles which the dog had got stuck in his foot and lots of other undesirable objects picked up in most of the parks. It's certainly much better now.
I'm not sure anything should be cut off the top of the railings at all... They've been like that now since at least 1910 and the previous ten or twelve generations of kids didn't seem to have problems with the spikes. You can't/shouldn't always try to make a danger free environment. Life isn't like that and kids should find that out. So don't just change it for safety reasons and in any case, the dangers from traffic for the children once the park is opened up, is much greater than the dangers from spikes.

I understand the desire to open up the space. It is a bit like a pen, rather than a common, which is the name for an open space. I've no idea why the railings were erected in the first place and perhaps it would be a good idea to decide which timepoint should be used as a marker. An early 19th Century common or a late 19th Century railed park.
This is a subject that many local people quite rightly feel strongly about. We had been told that the reason that half of the Common remains grassed over and the other half has been developed is due to historical covenants which would prevent a path being built. But at our latest meeting last week, Lew Taylor from Haringey Council told us that there is no covenant preventing a path being built and a legal expert from the Council will attend our next meeting (Thurs 22nd May, 7pm, Harringay United Church, Green Lanes on the corner if Allinson Road) to tell us more. Everyone is welcome at the meeting.
As well as supporting the friends of DC, you can fill in a form at
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/yourvisit and give your opinion of what needs to be done at Duckett's Common or in any other green space.
I'd like to see a continuous loop within the railings joining up the existing tarmaced surfaces, so that people can walk/jog round the entire park. It would also enable younger children to cycle/rollerblade round without having to go over the grass.

It's important to keep the railings (and to maintain them) - the roads are busy round here and it only takes a few seconds for a little one to run off into a disaster.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service