Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In recent post (originally about the GRA minutes.........but you know how these discussions drift) a discussion was started about Green Lanes regeneration, phase 2.

I noticed the following on a Tottenham Civic Society posting today:

Over the past three years Haringey Council regeneration and conservation departments have accessed funding from English Heritage, the Heritage Lottery and the EU to carry out a major programme of restoration in the Bruce Grove section of Tottenham High Road. The magnificent 1907 Windsor Parade (538-554 High Road) is an example of a restored building.

Does anyone know Windsor Parade? Is it something of peculiar interest that can outshine our dear Grand Parade? Windsor Parade seems much smaller, but it sounds like this may be worth investigating this as a possiblle route for part of any future plans.

FOR EASE OF REFERENCE, I HAVE COPIED THE RELEVANT COMMENTS FROM THE GRA DISCUSSION BELOW:

Liz replied:

I notice that there are points raised that are a concern for many of us in particular the idea of Green Lanes as a regeneration area and a dream to make Grand Parade great again.

Hugh added:

Yes, you're right Liz. Some echoes of the big picture thinking I've been chasing after. Very positive. I'm delighted to hear a residents' association sharing my view that a focus on Green Lanes is absolutely critical and then even better support to connect the Ladder and Gardens more.

Green Lanes is our High Street. If it's not right, the whole area won't be and we won't make a real difference unless we work together on it. It's critical, critical, critical.

Here's an example of how residents can organise effectively to place-shape.

Matt replied:

The Brentford example is interesting Hugh. Their 'vision' statement is 250 pgs long. It is opened by a comment from Anna Ford. The number of community people & organisations involved is huge. Organisations like the New Economics Foundation are involved. This is really extensive.

As a benchmark I have been thinking that Grand Parade should be given the same care and attention as a high street such as we have in Wood Green. Straight away we see the need for signage clutter (eg. real estate) to be removed and controlled. And street cleanliness to be far better than it is now. And so on.

Can the current make up of the GLSG handle such a remit to work towards something as comprehensive as the Brentford example? It will need to broaden its membership for a start.

Hugh replied:

I think the Brentford example was "Citizen-led". It's a very sophisticated example and only works because of the the generous contribution of time and effort by residents. Creating a coalition with the local council and other key groups and working with a clear and effective methodology has also been critical.

My championing a Local Charter is in part driven by a wish to create the beginings of a visionary focal point for we folks in Harringay. I've been invited to talk to the GLSG about it on 21st of May. So let's hope something will come of that.

SEE ALSO:
Civic Trust - Time for a Harringay Civic Trust?
Getting it off my chest about Green Lanes signage clutter!
Estate agent signs on buildings
Are You Proud to Live in Harringay?
Overlooked Architechtural Detailing on Green Lanes
Ugly shop fronts
A More Diverse Green Lanes?
European Car Free Day - What about putting Harringay's stretch of G...
Harringay's not Harringay after all. It's Official

Tags for Forum Posts: green lanes, harringay charter

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From this document
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/tottenham_high_road_draft_caa_-_written_...

At the northern end of this section of the Conservation Area, the High Road is
fronted by the Windsor Parade (Nos. 538-554), a three-storey terrace of
41 buildings, which were erected in 1907 [3.5]. The parade is constructed of red
brick with decorated rendered bays and prominent gables with broken
pediments. Whilst the majority of the shopfronts have been detrimentally
altered, most retain their cornices and some have pilasters and corbels. As a
group the parade is of architectural distinction and makes a positive
contribution to the streetscene.

This same document says
The London Borough of Haringey has a duty under the Planning (Listed
Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (The Act) to designate as
conservation areas any “areas of special architectural or historic interest, the
character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.” The
designation of a conservation area brings additional protection of trees, control
over demolition and development as well as a requirement for a decisionmaker,
in exercising planning powers, to pay “special attention to the
desirability of preserving and enhancing the character and appearance of the
conservation area”.
1.2 The Council is additionally required by The Act to keep conservation areas
under review and to formulate and publish from time to time proposals for their
preservation and enhancement.

Now I think we have a strong case for calling for the same level of conservation for Grand Parade as for Windsor terrace.
So how do we get started?
You've got to try and save that last surviving shopfront.. oh wait a minute, that's not on Grand Parade is it?

And there must be a way of stopping all the ugly window replacements.. and getting rid of satellite dishes on window frames.. (nothing against them being on the roof)

It will be painful for some, but the whole ensemble is really worthy of conservation, more so in my opinion, than Windsor Terrace (Parade?) in Tottenham.
Yes, I've known about this work at Bruce Grove for a while. I hope it helps to regenerate the area. They need more than just pretty shop fronts. Jobs come to mind. But certainly looking at making Grand Parade (and lets include both sides of the street) a conservation area would go a long way to sprucing up the area and keeping it that way. Another idea for the 21st May's GLSG mtg.
If you are refering to me with your "pretty shop fronts" comment... I'm not interested in "pretty" either, BUT at least one original shop frontage in the area should/must be allowed to survive, at least for the benefit of later generations. If you're going to do something, then do it properly... oh my, my "teutonic side" (hello Hugh!) is showing itself again.
I'm not sure what you mean about jobs, if you mean local jobs, then I would suggest that everyone shops locally and not at Borough Market or wherever, usually at a higher cost to their wallets as well as to the environment.
First of all, everyone in the area has to be made aware of what a "gem" they have and that they (the shop owners) are custodians of something that will have to be passed on in (hopefully) better condition than they found it.
It's not just about shop fronts although that is important but the wonderful detail above them and the richness
of the designs (compare with those ugly flats opposite the Salisbury which were not built with any mind to what was around them). If this were a conservation area, they wouldn't be allowed to cover / spoil them with bad window replacements, estate agents signs or satellite dishes or let them go to rack and ruin. As I've said before, if the high street is always viewed negatively (see Harringay neighbourhood pages on the Haringey website for example ) then people will take less pride then if you tell them they live among beautiful buildings worthy of our care and attention
Thanks Liz for bringing our attention to the lousy replacement windows above the Brian Thomas place. Not only do they change the whole form of the building, they spoil totally the whole ensemble with the decently renovated building opposite.
I know I sound like a "window fascist", but I REALLY do think that windows, or buildings looking like they were meant to be, are the key to the street's charisma.
No! I woz not. A whole area needs an uplift; 'jobs' referring to unemployment still being high in Tottenham.
Just added some links to relevant discussion in the original posting.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service