Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Attached. See below.

Tags for Forum Posts: GRA, minutes

Views: 58

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

These made very interesting reading. I notice that there are points raised that are a concern for many of us in particular the idea of Green Lanes as a regeneration area and a dream to make Grand Parade great again. I was also interested to see the discussion about a lack of Harringay entrance to Finsbury park. There is also the concern over the gaming centre. It all suggests that there are many issues over which we can work together.
Yes, you're right Liz. Some echoes of the big picture thinking I've been chasing after. Very positive. I'm delighted to hear a residents' association sharing my view that a focus on Green Lanes is absolutely critical and then even better support to connect the Ladder and Gardens more.

Green Lanes is our High Street. If it's not right, the whole area won't be and we won't make a real difference unless we work together on it. It's critical, critical, critical.

And, hey even support for the Harringay entrance to Finsbury Park. The walking route I submitted had this at the end end, down to the Endymion crossing. But I guess since 22nd APril has gone, it's not been selected by Sustainable Transport. Never mind, all working together we can find another way to skin a cat.

Here's an example of how residents can oragnise effectively to place-shape.
The Brentford example is interesting Hugh. Their 'vision' statement is 250 pgs long. It is opened by a comment from Anna Ford. The number of community people & organisations involved is huge. Organisations like the New Economics Foundation are involved. This is really extensive.

As a benchmark I have been thinking that Grand Parade should be given the same care and attention as a high street such as we have in Wood Green. Straight away we see the need for signage clutter (eg. real estate) to be removed and controlled. And street cleanliness to be far better than it is now. And so on.

Can the current make up of the GLSG handle such a remit to work towards something as comprehensive as the Brentford example? It will need to broaden its membership for a start.
I think the Brentford example was "Citizen-led". It's a very sophisticated example and only works because of the the generous contribution of time and effort by residents. Creating a coalition with the local council and other key groups and working with a clear and effective methodology has also been critical.

My championing a Local Charter is in part driven by a wish to create the beginings of a visionary focal point for we folks in Harringay. I've been invited to talk to the GLSG about it on 21st of May. So let's hope something will come of that.
OK. Good to hear.
For further comments on the Green Lanes issue, please see the Loving Harringay's Green Lanes discussion.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service