Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Can you recommend some trips out to the country (or somewhere picturesque) using public transport?

We have two small children and no car. Has anyone got any ideas for trips out to picturesque spots using public transport?
We have been up to Trent Country Park on the Piccadilly Line and to Kew Gardens, Walthamstow Marshes etc and Hampstead Heath on the train, but do you know of any other top spots to take the little 'uns this summer?

Tags for Forum Posts: child friendly, days out, public transport, summer fun

Views: 3016

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hatfield House is a top tip for the carless as the entrance is right in front of the station. Playground, picnic spots, lovely woods to wander through and we combined it with a trip to the Festival of Living Crafts where we drank cider, watched puppet shows, met owls, tasted lots of yummy food and saw this, which may please you SH

Oh and there's a nice house too
How did you guess? Yes, I like Steam Engines too!
I was out in the sun today too!

How to travel out into the countryside by London Bus?
It is sometimes difficult to imagine that this 1950 Public Information film was being serious about the whole thing. It was made by the colonial office and purports to show Africans how to use a London Bus... (oh dear)

I bet you won't get through it, without laughing out aloud...
Marvellous, when I'm crammed onto a 29 watching for pickpockets, having been shoved out of the way by a grumpy granny as I was boarding, and avoiding the sour looks from other passengers as Junior kicks off, I will think of this film...
the River Lea at Springfield Park - get a bus to Manor House then another going towards Clapton. The canal is fantastic. Also Tottenham Marshes - check out www.leevalleypark.org.uk for more info
great. But where woz blakey?
Have you been to Hornimans Museum in Dulwich? I had a day there on sunday with my neice and nephew. Its a great place for kids, very visual, Egyption mummies and disected animals etc. Theres now an aquarium recently added, its a fantastic place with lovely surrounding gardens and park for kids to run around in, plus some out door live animals. They also have story telling so you can be child free-ish for half hour or so. And its Free!! although they do ask for contributions. From Haringey you can get the victoria line from Finsbury Park to Brixton and then take the P4 which is little hopper bus (bus stop opp station) takes about 20mins on bus if traffic clear. You can also get off at Dulwich Park (few stops before museum) a lovely park with great cafe.
Thanks, both sound like great ideas...keep 'em coming. Mr and mrs E and the 'E'lets want to be having lots of fun this summer!
I second the Horniman Museum. A friend of mine does drumming workshops there for kidz. It is a great place but a long journey. Why doesn't North London have something like this ...
For some informal viewpoints, take a peek at people's photos of the Horniman Museum and Park on Flickr.com website. If you've not used it before, start with the
home page. Then do a straightforward Search, using "everyone's uploads" for Horniman Museum. The same now probably applies to most museums etc in London. Of course, it depends on your kids' ages and enthusiasms too.

The Horniman is lovely - I used to do quite a lot of work for them. The easiest way to get there is to get the overground from Canonbury (5 minutes walk from Newington Green) to Forest Hill.  Its then 10 minutes walk up the hill or a couple of stops on the bus.  You can get the same line (or the 67 bus from St Ann's road) to the Geffrye Museum - again its free and they have loads of activities for kids

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service