Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Can you recommend some trips out to the country (or somewhere picturesque) using public transport?

We have two small children and no car. Has anyone got any ideas for trips out to picturesque spots using public transport?
We have been up to Trent Country Park on the Piccadilly Line and to Kew Gardens, Walthamstow Marshes etc and Hampstead Heath on the train, but do you know of any other top spots to take the little 'uns this summer?

Tags for Forum Posts: child friendly, days out, public transport, summer fun

Views: 3023

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welwyn Garden City would be a pleasant starting point for a walk in the country and a picnic, but not sure of any specific attractions there to visit.
Gospel Oak! Hampstead Heath!

Have you heard of it?
Ha Ha, if you read my intro you'd see it got a mention! Your other ideas (Epping Forest and audley end) sound good though
Tbh, Queens Wood/Highgate Wood are excellent places to take your kids and so much closer too. With Epping Forest you're never sure when you might come across a scene of a crime ... like a burnt out car. :0
We took the train from Harringay and got off at Enfield Chase today and walked 5 minutes to the Crown & Horseshoes, Enfield which is on the New River. Child friendly and a pleasant staff, with a big beer garden, unremarkable but edible pub grub and a couple of decent ales. Then we walked a bit of the New River path past Gentleman's Row and down to the Town Park. V pleasant. (Can I recommend a trip to myself? :) )
Hatfield House. Pedestrian entrance is close to Hatfield Rail Station. (Change at Alexandra Palace for line to Hatfield ?- (not far). Lots of lovely trees, green space for walks, (plus kids' adventure playground, not tried this.)

Sorry folks the North Woolwich Station Museum closed down, Newham pulled the plug, pity as it is derelict now.

But if into trains, The Bluebell Railway has now reached East Grinstead.  It won't be a cheap day out, but trains every half hour from Victoria, and there are various special days.

By the way it was back in 2006 when they ran the Last North London Line train to North Woolwich. I was on it!  It was still being run by the dire Silverlink then.

Before I forget... Audley End in Essex (via Liverpool Street/Tottenham Hale) is really good too. It takes about an hour. Wendons Ambo is the village on the other side of the railway station and there is a really nice old pub there called The Bell. Well worth a visit, even with the kids, they will be able to touch the ceiling!

Funny you should say that. I went to Wendens Ambo yesterday with my brother - sadly The Bell closed two weeks ago. No idea whether / when it might reopen.

Hertford is nice (the train from Harringay goes to Hertford north) - there's a huge park at the eastern edge of the town and a riverside walk to the attractive village of Ware. Welwyn Garden City is surprisingly good for shopping - there's a big John Lewis just 5mins from the station. The train takes about 25 mins from Harringay, so it's as quick as going to the West End, and much more pleasant on a Saturday afternoon.
A place that hasn't yet been mentioned is Hatfield House. Forthcoming events are listed here.

And it's not far from the station
The Red Lion was done up for last summer too. Quite a nice spot for a pint n the sunshine.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service