Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Some of you may remember the grief I caused "Coach Neil" when I mused about possible putures for the old cricket pitch by the corner of Endymion/Wightman.

I asked for some additional info from Haringey Council and below is the reposne I recieved today:

This forms a part of Finsbury Park which is under Haringey Council and is managed by the Parks Services.

The use of this area is licensed to Meteors Softball Club during designated days and hours.

The licence commenced on the 1st April 1993 and is open ended and can only be brought to an end by certain provision in the licence ( six months written notice by either party to the licence agreement or were there is a breach by the licensee of the licensee’s undertakings contained in the licence agreement)

The licensee has exclusive rights to use the area on the designated days and hours stated below and may exclude other parties and members of the public during this period:

Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from the third Tuesday in April until the second Thursday in August from 6.30pm until park closing time and on Saturday from the first Saturday in April until the last Saturday in August from 10am until 6pm (“the softball season”)

The licensee currently pays £1,600 per annum, which is currently under review.

Tags for Forum Posts: cricket pitch, finsbury park, meteor, softball

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If they changed their name to "Harringay Meteors", would that make a difference? No-one played cricket there anymore, there are no gates out at the Endymion Rd/Green Lanes intersection and there never used to be a crossing there either - it's a little desolate compared to the rest of Harringay. I would really like to see a "cricket pitch" sort of area at the south end of Ducketts common for the impromptu games that happen there in summer, just something a bit flatter and with shorter grass - but I worry that if I even mentioned this they might decide it was a good spot for a strip of concrete.
I'm sorry but I do have to go along with coach Neil. My sons have friends who are ardent base ball players and this form of sport has done a lot to keep some youth off the streets. Why not try to get some cricket going in Ducketts common to liven the area up a bit?
Some nice photos in the Baseball and softball group of events and games organised by the Mets
Thanks for poiting that out Liz. Certainly doesn't look in the least bit desolate. Great to actually see it in use.
Well, I'm going to miss alluding now and then to "the old cricket pitch", so maybe it's time to step up to the plate, as they say, push the envelope and play some hardball. Unfortunately, Harringay cricket has for long had much in common with the native red squirrel. If the little red bugger couldn't (be arsed to) exploit his traditional habitat or defend his New River territory since 1876, 1993 or whenever, is it any wonder that his more assertive grey/gray American cousin found it a doddle to banish him to his remote northern enclaves, far beyond Duckett Common even?

There may be some justice, however, in the world of nature red in tooth and claw, if not in fur. The hardball American gray/grey has had his comeuppance. It seems that the more softball mutant American black squirrel has already aggressively outbred him throughout the South East. Despite being a mere offshoot or spinoff, he is more testosterone-driven and more popular with most female grey/grays. So apparently the softball mutant variety is our future - but I can't understand why they don't restrict their nutting activities to the American Gardens.

But talking of moribund summer games and pastimes in Finsbury Park, seems to me the bowling green by the pond is another greatly underused chunk of real estate. Time maybe for a surprise commando raid by the Croquet Vets. Any recruits for this summer's Crocs 'n' Croquettes League on the Old Bowling Green? A Youth knockout will follow - nothing like eXtreme Croquet's innate nastiness for character building.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service