Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Photo: by site member Alan Stanton on flickr

Burried in ITV London teletext is a report from a GMB survey on the cleanliness of our streets, showing that Harringey has the dirtiest streets in the country. Along with Runnymede in Surrey.

The GMB puts this down to not enough staff being employed to do the job. Well, it's not rocket science.

Accord ... a load of rubbish? Are they ripping off Haringey rate payers?

Exactly why should we put up with the worst streets in the UK? Please tell me that.

What is this Labour council doing about it .............. ? Is it time to try a new contractor?

Tags for Forum Posts: flytipping, rubbish

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We also don't complain nearly enough I think about it. People seem to think litter is an evitability that they have no control over. My road was a tip yesterday, I emailed and it was swept today.We are not tied by a cleaning schedule. If we all dropped an email to them everytime we were dissatisfied with cleaning, then they would either sort it out (and employ more staff) or have to admit they couldn't and get found out. Enforcement against flytipping needs to be more high profile and there should be some figures published locally about how many people are caught and fined for it. I am not defending Accord (don't know enough about them) but my dealings with them have been much better than with virtually any other council service (with the exception of the library service who are always top notch) in terms of what they will do and the speed with which they carry it out. Maybe I've been lucky...
Or maybe it's because you're one of those 'champion' people. I really think we are talking here not just about fly tipping but general street rubbish as well. Lets face it Liz, our streets are disgusting. Especially Green Lanes; it's filthy. It has to get better, a lot better. If Westminster can do it with all those shops and tourists then so can Haringey.
Yes okay, you can email about general street rubbish too though. Just say 'there's litter all over X road' and they should come and sweep it up. Green Lanes is a toughy however, I agree and more street cleansing, as in wash downs, need to happen. Maybe if there was pride shown in Grand Parade through the preservation and restoration of the shop fronts and buildings and the removal of all the visual pollution and a bit of a shakedown of some of the worst offenders, some sense of responsibility might result.
Yes, all those things! Green Lanes Strategy Group - top of agenda I think.

[ like the new avatar :) ]
A Contractor Only does what they are instructed to Do

It comes down to Costs and Political Will

Haringey - Contractors have a fleet of transit style Tippers collecting
Dumped Rubbish

But do not look into where the Rubbish came from

It's not in the Councils policy to Prosecute Offenders
As might Offend a few Voters

As proved over the years to be more expensive than clearing the Rubbish

The Council does offer residents the change to clear out Rubbish and get is cleared
Free from their residency

But much of today's rubbish comes from private Rented properties
when landlords clear it out for the next tenant

Because Council Tips will not Allow Vans into tips

Sure it would be cheaper in the long Run

But it is down to the electorate to put preasure on it's Elected Members
Yes, which is why, for the Harringay area at least, it must be on the Green Lanes Strategy Group's agenda. They are to decide their new agenda, as if were, at their May mtg.

Hugh, can we get this onto GLSG agenda via your links to Nilgun? That is;
Radically improve street cleanliness along Grand Parade and roads off of it.

Pretty please. :)
Since all our councillors, our local MP, the neighbourhood manager and the chair of the LCSP are on that group, why not email all of them asking for it to be put on the agenda?
guys, you have said it all, really. Wholeheartedly agree with all of you. Let's get it on the agenda.
I also think a proper campaign from the council re. rubbish / litter would be in order. Done in a lot of different languages. The current campaign they're running on buses and boards is laughable. And how much does that campaign cost? I dread to think, but I know it's not cheap.
There has to be a total shift in people's attitude dowards littering if we are to get anywhere. If not, all we'll do is tidy up after the messy ones, and they will never learn.
Street patrols, £50 on the spot fines for dropping litter. And spitting. Eurgh!
CCTV at known fly-tipping sites, and then follow up with hefty fines. Not just say they'll fine people, find them, and DO IT. At the moment nothing gets done.

Can I also mention how disgusting my road looks every Friday morning after Accord have been there and tipped half the rubbish collected back in to the middle of the road? They do a really shoddy job. And like most people I mean to call or email and report it, but it gets lost inbetween other things to do. I'll start complaining more...!
On the HOL residents survey, the single most commented on issue in the 'other' category was street cleanliness. The results are due to be reported to the GLSG in the next week or two. I have emailed the neighbourhood manager and the councillors for my ward to ask them to take special note of this issue and push for more from the contractor. The more of us do this, the better?
Well highlighted Liz. I'd suggest that site members have already made an effort to put their views forward via the survey you mention. It's up to the GLSG now to listen and apply the priorities to their renewed agenda in May. And to be fair to the contractor it may be that they need more funding in order to employ more personnel more frequently within Harringay and other wards.

More money for the waste contractor is of course a decision at council level rather than just GLSG. Parking monies are ring fenced for transport issues. Maybe the council needs to look at how it can make some money out of waste. Metal commodity prices are at an all time high hence there is value from recycling computers, mobiles & other electronic equipment. Recycling of electronics is now required by law. Money made from selling on such equipment for recycling could be used to finance more street cleaning operatives.

The council needs to start thinking outside of the box.
Fair point Matt, HOL members have actually stated what they wanted through the survey. Dasos has responded to the email I sent and has assured me that the issue will be discussed as part of the priorities discussion at the next meeting. He also copied my email to Councillors Canver and Haley and Hugh has had a copy so I guess we've told 'em all now.
With regard to the contractor, well it is their job to provide value for money and if they can't ,then a new contractor should be sought, however as we know this is much easier said than done when dealing with public sector contracts.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service