Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I know that they probably aren't reading this, but I was so grateful to all the people who helped this hapless mother struggling with a large suitcase and a four year old to negotiate the tube at 5.15 on a weekday. Thank you to the man who held my daughter's hand down the escalator and to the two lovely gentlemen who took my case down the escalators for me and to those people who waited patiently and without irritation as we hopped on and off. Also to those people who made room for a buggy, a suitcase and a small child as we flung ourselves onto a busy tube at the last minute and to the lady who let me have a seat so we could sit down.
I am always very happy and appreciative when anyone offers any kind of assistance when I am travelling. It really does make a difference if someone helps lift a buggy onto or off a bus, or makes a little room on a train or offers a seat or carries a bag...

... and to the rather stuck up young lady in the business suit who tutted and looked annoyed as we struggled at Euston, be careful the wind doesn't change you wouldn't want your face to stay like that!

If you do a good deed, by the way, and want to shout it from the rooftops, go to http://www.onesmalldeed.com/
and tell the world!

Tags for Forum Posts: gooddeeds, heroes, manners, smalldeeds, travelling

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This put a smile on my face.
The flipside of this of course, is how astonished I still am that people will ignore an elderly person standing, or a pregnant lady or someone with a small child and not offer their seat. I've noticed this trend more and more, on buses in particular. My husband actually told a bloke to stand up for an elderly lady on the 29 and the man refused, his reasoning? It wasn't a priority seat and she should make her way down the crowded bus to move someone off one of those!
Now, four years ago, while pregnant and travelling to work I could guarantee that someone would stand up for me. 3 years later, I would often have to ask people if they would get up. (And I know the old nonsense that being pregnant isn't a disability but usually the people who say that haven't suffered from swollen ankles, a bad back and a shortness of breath all at the same time.)
Why? What changed? Is the problem that when you designate some seats as priority that people think they are the only seats that should be given up? Are people really so wrapped up in their own little ipod worlds that they fail to see what is going on in front of them?
You're right. I normally give my seat up for anyone looking frail. One little old lady on the 29 actually turned me down! I insisted, and when she took my seat then she pulled me down on her lap so I could sit too. Complete nutter, but so lovely, and she made me laugh so much.
This will now turn in to a discussion about manners, you do realise that? :D
I guess but i would hope that I'm preaching to the converted on this site and that HOL types would be automatic heroes!
I think I wanted to make it clear that in my case it is always appreciated if someone offers to help...sometimes I can see on people's faces that they are wondering if they should offer to help and I say, 'Go on!' They might say no thanks but at least you've given them the chance to sit down/get help. And it is nice to know there are still so many gentlemen around!
I totally agree with you!
Aesop said: 'No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.'

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service