Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Pleased to Read in this weeks issue of the Advertiser
that the Police have started a Campaign against Miss use of Blue Badges

My Next door Neighbours use them - instead of permits
Joke is most of them often go and play Football
Have been known to play outside the House in road

Does not suprise me to read that there are around 8,000 blue Badges
Issued within Haringey

Still believe that they Should Still pay for Permits - if living within a
Residental Permit scheme

Tags for Forum Posts: disabled, parking, permit

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes i agree anette.
john. you are assuming that disabled people are all above driving age and have a driving licence and own a car and are able to drive. disability takes many forms. not just blind or deaf.
what about the three year old girl that is disabled ? her mum drives her around.
i could go on but you are obviously not reading my posts. or you are reading them but prefer to ignore them. read them again this time taking in the info. i'm not making any of this up, honest !
unless people are disabled it is 99 times out 100 that they get it very wrong EVERY time.
When I was young I had a close friend and neighbour who is a paraplegic. I don't think we had a disabled badge system but there was a fair bit of citizen policing with regard to who was parked in a disabled bay. When he got a car it had a chair lift on the roof.

All I'm saying is that this system is broken and another one needs to take its place. I've read your other posts and I sympathise, BUT... there is massive abuse of this system and it encourages crime. Cars in my street that are broken into are ALWAYS the ones in the disabled bays displaying their blue cards. They're also of course the only things taken.
yes you do have a fascist streak in you. it's a shame because fascism is no joke. my dads generation could tell you. the fascists started off their holocaust with disabled. did you know that ? if you did know that john, i'm not sure i like what i'm hearing.
are you saying that people with badges are CAUSING crime because their cars get broken into ? come back and say i'm wrong please.
Right let's start by pointing out that this thread is about the mis use of Blue Badges often by criminal elements who break into disabled people's cars, steal their badges and sell them on to other criminals who use them illegally. It is not out to abuse or demonise disabled people or their families who are after all the victims in this. Incidentally, one of the most vigilant local residents against blue badge abuse is a man whose wife has MS. It upsets him greatly that people are so cavalier about this crime and view it as victimless.

'What harm to get one of these blue badges and get free parking?' Well, I've been to enough Residents meetings now to know that the police view these operations as worth their time as they can often uncover more serious offences and offenders while investigating this. The police are not picking on disabled people and their families but trying to prevent them becoming victims of crime.

I imagine that John knows his history as well as the rest of us, James and although he has a tendancy to bandy the word fascist about, I would not like it to be suggested that there is an anti disabled intent to this thread. Far from it. It may be from time to time someone is reported and a genuine mistake is made, so be it. It's happened to me. I've had CID at my door and peering through my window because my address was given as a criminal's address. It was not a problem to make them understand that they had got it wrong. Like my friend with the disabled wife, most people would prefer the criminals caught with the odd mistaken visit made to someone genuine, than allow these people to get away with victimising disabled people and their families
No, I'm saying the system is causing crime. My second paragraph is talking about the system and crime, the first one about my paraplegic friend.

I think we need to discuss this over a beer on the 16th. It's one of my pet peeves that I usually keep quiet about. Bob Ruggles can get me talking about anything though!
I cant see why anyone would object to the blue badge scheme.

I think dissenting attitudes partly boils down to money. 'Why should I have to pay when they dont have to'. Otherwise it wouldnt bother people so much.

Or alternatively, it is similar to the 'I was sitting here first so why should I stand up for a pregnant lady on the tube' attitude. ie I think its all a tad reflective of society's declining sense of community and falling willingness to help people in need.

Other examples that spring to mind that i would put in the same bracket:

'Why do my taxes pay for schooling, I dont even have children',

'Why do my colleagues at work get to take days off when their children are sick, I dont get that privilege because I am a single person.'

Or

'How come my colleague with three children gets priority to take the week off during half term? Its their own lifestyle choice to have kids, why should it encroach on my opportunity to take annual leave during that week too?'

I could go on..... but probably would continue not to make any sense.

:)

I think we all have to realise that as we are not doctors, we cant judge who is disabled and who isnt.
James, using the fascist card is very dangerous, use it wisely and accurately.

Rahman, you have some excellent points and I can see it from another view point now, thank you.
birdy do you need my reading glasses ?
No ta, I only use glasses for driving thanks.
Oh dear... I feel a very good debate coming on. Where is that chap with the beard from Tottenham too?
I disagree.... pub for you too young man. I will get the first round.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service