Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Pleased to Read in this weeks issue of the Advertiser
that the Police have started a Campaign against Miss use of Blue Badges

My Next door Neighbours use them - instead of permits
Joke is most of them often go and play Football
Have been known to play outside the House in road

Does not suprise me to read that there are around 8,000 blue Badges
Issued within Haringey

Still believe that they Should Still pay for Permits - if living within a
Residental Permit scheme

Tags for Forum Posts: disabled, parking, permit

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

isn't that a bit harsh on genuine disabled ?
the whole point of the badge scheme is so that disabled can park near where they need to be. as opposed to able bodied who can park and walk to and from their destination.
what's annoying to me is the thousands of able bodied that insist on parking in disabled bays.
there will always be people who will take advantage of a liberal society.
that shouldn't be a reason to punish the genuine disabled. after all you may be disabled yourself one day. think about it.
Many of these badges are stolen from disabled people's cars (which may link in to the other discussion about car crime earlier) and if you see someone using one of these badges who are clearly not disabled, you should take down the number and report them to the police, as simple as that.
The police do regular 'blue badge sweeps' and sometimes catch people who are engaged in other more serious criminal activity as a result.
I entirely agree with what you say Liz.
my point though is not to discriminate against disabled.
they have it bad enough without having their hard won rights removed because a fewpeople masqurade as disabled for whatever reason.
disabled people need to be able to park wherever for a good reason.
currently they can park (mostly) anywhere within european union countries.
Is Bob suggesting they pay for a res--park permit in every bourough, city in U.K. and europe ?

i was saying that instead of lashing out at disabled, to think things through.
(if somebody acknowleges my point i will let it go.)
Acknowledged. Clearly, one should not penalise the law abiding majority or imply that because some people misuse the badges that the system is wrong. Clamping down on abusers of the system is the answer.
I think what is interesting is that perhaps many of us may feel that this crime is not worth using up so much police time, until you discover that catching the abusers can often lead to much more serious offences being discovered.
I can understand where Bob is coming from, why should disabled driver/residents be immune from a parking permit fee? Yes there should be a disabled spot outside their house, but should it be free?

I am all for giving the full access disabled drivers require but would you let a disabled person into a football match or the cinema for free when there is a cost involved. There should be facilities to cater for disabled people in all areas of society but not freebies whilst others have to pay.

The amount of disabled spots in my road has tripled in the time I have been there. There are some people taking the system for a ride at the expense of the rest of us including genuine disable people.

Of course this may differ if someone is on benefits, ability to pay should be a factor. If someone is on benefits and has a car as a necessity rather than a luxury then, sure a free permit should be issued.

I can understand why disabled people don’t have to pay as you need to provide parking spaces for residents and non-residents alike but how could you differentiate between the two. Maybe I’ve just justified it to myself?
I forgot to point out that the badge goes where the owner of it goes. the owner of the badge does not have to own a vehicle or drivers licence. it can be placed in any vehicle, a taxi for instance. so even though the owner is not in the vehicle they may have been dropped off somewhere and the driver is waiting around for them.
just because the owner of the badge is not in the vehicle displaying the badge (therefore being able to park in otherwise restricted area) does not mean the badge is being illegally used.
this is where the scheme is open for abuse. people that have a badge do not need a res-park permit. sometimes they give the badge to a friend or family member to be able to park. it's illegal but almost impossible to enforce.
the scheme is run on a purely TRUST basis. this is why liberal democracy works.
as opposed to a fascist state which is run on the basis of FEAR and mistrust.
i'm pretty sure that plenty of badge numbers are reported thru misunderstanding. this uses up valuble resourses investigating mis-leads which you as a tax payer should worry about.
so lets get it right and don't knee jerk our way in to a society of fear and mistrust.
more trust less fear.
oops i went on too much again.
A policy that is run on trust is daft, can you imagine if that was applied to all forms of administration and entitlement.

"Oh yes Mr Virgin Trains man, I left my £150 return ticket in my other coat" (as he sits in First Class up to Glasgow) - Maybe this is where a revised system needs to thought up. What, I dunno?
Interesting one. I completely understand that disabled people needs to be able to park near their house. That much is obvious. Should disabled people have free parking? I assume that with being disabled sometimes follows difficulties in finding suitable work, depending on the disability. So earning power may go down, and it may be harder to find the money for a parking permit. This may tip the scales for some when it comes to having a car as a possibly much needed life-line.
I guess the admin with figuring out who should have free parking and who earns enough to warrant paying is a nightmare, so everyone gets free parking. Fair enough. Less margin for error, and for potentially penalising someone who really needs free parking.

Then there's the people who blatantly abuse the system. Someone in the HMO opposite me had a disabled badge. It was his car, and his badge. I realised he was not disabled at all when I saw him moving a cooker and a fridge!!! Very well he did it too, I might add. I wanted to report him and have his badge removed, but I could not figure out who to contact. If there is a campaign to stop abuse of blue badges, they have made it pretty difficult to report people.
We regurlarly conduct Blue badge ops with the Local Authority. When people are found in possession of a relatives and the disabled person it not with them we seize the badge and return it to the Local Authority with a short statement detailing the circumstances of it`s use.
As Liz says we regularily come across badges reported as stolen. The people are arrested for Handling Stolen Goods.
If anyone is suspicious of a badge or person contact us with details along with the vehicle details that it is in and we will check it out
i have a badge. here's a scenario.
after being picked up by my taxi cab i display the badge in the cabs window along with the timer. he drops me off at my appointment. there's nowhere to park so he drives into a side road and parks in a disabled bay to wait the 25 mins duration of my appointment. during this time he goes to a nearby shop. on his way back to the car (he's practicing for the olympics) he does a few cartwheels on the pavement.
at this time you are walking by and you see a perfectly able bodied man get into a car parked in a disabled bay and drive off.
what do you do ? take the registration number and report it to Glyn ?
can you see how difficult it is now ?
I'm going to be a fascist here, but I think you should at least require crutches (prosthetic leg above the knee is OK too) to get one of those badges and it should just be for your car. Someone I know has one, and so do his kids (for visiting, our visitors need a 40p permit) and he's had it pinched about 4 times that I can think of so there are four illegal ones out there. The system is broken, it needs some very fascist policing or root and branch change.
I see what you mean re. pick ups and cartwheels James, and in terms of reporting people who mis-use the badge, it's obviouly best to be sure. That said, it's in everyone's best interest to stop the people who are indeed mis-using them, especially for the people who genuinely need the parking spaces.

The example I used was a man I had seen for well over a year, so was pretty damn certain he was quite undeserving of his badge..

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service