Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was recently told by Sainsbury's that they were planning to open a second exit from the Arena via Finsbury Park Avenue. I was worried that this would result in lines of angry shoppers clogging up residential roads as they waited to exit onto Green Lanes at Hermitage Road. Following an email to two councillors I have received two replies, the first I have already posted (Hugh maybe you can do some link thing if anyone is interested). Today I have received the following reply. I'm rather keen on Haringey officials at the moment as they are both helpful and prompt in their replies:

I have been asked to reply to your email dated 25 March 2008 addressed to Cllr Haley, regarding your concerns about the traffic problems at Williamson Road / Green Lanes junction.

Improving the traffic flow around the Arena Development is a complex issue and requires a coordinated approach by a number of stakeholders.

With this in mind Haringey council have set up a series of meetings with both Developers and their Consultants to consider ways of addressing the increased congestion around the junction of Williamson Road and Green Lanes. All parties agreed to look at a number of options to improve the traffic flow.

These include potentially rerouting traffic around the complex itself and widening Williamson Road on the approach to the signalled junction.

In the medium term Haringey Council is working together with the Directorate of Traffic Operations (DTO), part of Transport for London (TfL), who is responsible for the installation and maintenance of traffic lights, to upgrade the signals and traffic controller which will improve the efficiency of the junction, these works are expected in June/July 2008.

As a more long term solution, Developer Consultants are suggesting introducing a lay-by at the southbound bus stop by the junction with Williamson Road. This would improve traffic flows as vehicles exiting the Development would no longer have to wait behind buses at the bus stop.

With regards to your specific query, I can confirm that currently there are no plans to have a direct exit out through Finsbury Park Avenue though a vehicular exit for emergency vehicles only is being considered by the Developers in discussions with London and Quadrant Housing Trust.

I hope the above answers your query, and thank you again for taking the time to write in.

Yours sincerely,

Mike Tobin

Interim Head of Highways

Tags for Forum Posts: arena, sainsbury's, tfl, traffic

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See local news for the story in the Hornsey & Crouch End Journal today
"In the medium term Haringey Council is working together with the Directorate of Traffic Operations (DTO), part of Transport for London (TfL), who is responsible for the installation and maintenance of traffic lights, to upgrade the signals and traffic controller which will improve the efficiency of the junction, these works are expected in June/July 2008."

Now this is interesting...

I have just received an email from a traffic campaign group in Muswell Hill which points to Evening Standard articles here is what I thought was highly relevant

"Labour Mayor of London Ken Livingstone has pledged to introduce a
20mph speed limit on almost all roads throughout Greater London, if he
is re-elected on May 1st.

"The presumption should be 20 miles an hour with very rare exceptions"
"I confess we have rephased traffic lights so traffic flows more
slowly."

Is that why we experience problems? interesting confession!

http://tinyurl.com/5e2wya

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service