Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Since starting this site, I've been amazed at how suspicious certain groups have been. Between the local residents groups and the politcians I've been accused of all sorts. One group feared that I was (and I quote) "a fifth columnist for the Green Party". I've been grilled by the Lib Dems and now the Labour group have accused me of being a platform for the Lib Dems.

What are these people on?

Since the last "accusation" (if that's not too strong) was by email, I replied by mail. So for the record, I've copied a slightly edited version of my reply below:

Website Neutrality

Thank you for raising your concerns about the website. I hope I can give you a clear answer.

I have decided that I'm clearly a bit naïve. When I started this website it had a clear agenda, which was to connect people so they felt a stronger sense of belonging and could take strength from it to get engaged and help shape the place they live in. That's it, pure and simple.

During the ensuing months I've been keen to get all local stakeholders involved. When I suggested to one residents' group that the site could be useful to them, they were surprisingly defensive. (shock 1) I was quizzed by the Liberal Democrats about my agenda and subsequently told that there was a fear that I was (and I quote directly) "a fifth columnist for the Green Party". (shock 2)

Now I'm getting suspicion that I'm anti-Labour and pro Lib Dem (shock 3). You've got to see the funny side here. It's all faintly ridiculous.

Let me be clear once again, I have no party political motivation in setting up and running this site whatsoever.

- The site membership includes members from all three major parties.
- All are welcome to contribute and yes all should declare any office they hold.
- Whilst I do allow the free expression of political views I do not allow party politicking on this site. I have deleted previous comments by a councillor for this reason.
- My tolerance of political expression does not include anything which may be deemed offensive including on grounds of race, gender, religion, nationality, disability of sexual orientation and I have deleted a few comments on these grounds.
- My tolerance does not extend to comments that are personally offensive and I have deleted comments on these grounds.

I do not understand why it should be considered a problem for councillors to post on the site. If you think about any newspaper, radio show or TV show about issues, all seek and include comment from politicians. The critical issue is whether the same opportunity is afforded to all sides equally. I offer a totally unbiased opportunity to all the local parties. It is important that locals can engage with politicians, understand their views and hopefully influence them.

There's nothing offensive about political views per se. Some extreme political views ARE offensive and I will not allow those. Otherwise the only thing that's offensive is the repression of political views.

The local suspicions amaze me. I've not been involved locally before and it seems that they get in the way of progress. The only thing I'm for, the only agenda I pursue is to help build the community of Harringay and shape it as a better place to live. It's my patch, my manor. It's important to me that it gets better.

I hope I've made my position clear.

So tell me folks. Is it me? Am I unwittingly running a partisan site that's been hijacked by the Greens, or the Lib Dems, or Labour or all three? Or have I been shown the tip of the iceberg of an atmosphere of suspicion in local politics that just gets in the way?

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

> It may be best that the names of political parties are avoided in this forum, the better to reduce heat and concentrate on issues.

I agree with Clive on that point.
I think they are by and large. Can't think of a post where a political party is discussed or criticised.
What a load of c**p!
This is good though, it means people are looking at the site, and they care. If nobody cared, there would be no comments. And being ignored is the worst of all.
If people voicing an opinion are automatically seen as politicians then I should be prime minister. Alsong with with quite a few other people here. You all know who you are.
I am baffled by the suspicion voiced by certain groups, can't they see we're all working for a common goal? To make our local area the best possible place for us all to live.

I also think this is a good time to yet again say thank you to Hugh for setting up and running this web-site! You have done a very good thing. So there!
perhaps you should also mention that you are getting really good, high quality experience in setting up, designing and maintaining a social website. Getting such experience and boosting your cv thereby is an entirely creditable motivation. You see people will always wonder what ones motive is. Can be useful to have a good one which you disclose. Of course you wouldnt bother to get the experience this way unless you had your other motives which you state. I also have to say that, sadly, whenever someone does something worthwhile they will get attacks from people who are just jealous they havent done it themselves. Take the attacks on you as proof that what you are doing matters!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service