Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

European Car Free Day - What about putting Harringay's stretch of Green Lanes Foward?

.....and we could have a party!!

See Living Streets post below:

In Town Without Your Car - European Car Free Day, September 2008

We are all getting together to work with Haringey Council to take part in the European Car Free Day in September (either Saturday 20th or Monday 22nd). This is a day when the Council closes a street to cars and lorries allowing people to enjoy walking, cycling, street theatre, live music, public art and children's play areas. It could be a shopping street or a residential street. If it's a residential street it could be combined with a street party. Whilst our near neighbours Camden, Islington, Hackney and Waltham Forest take part in the day each year Haringey has only tried it once, some years ago.

We hope you like this idea and will want to support it by taking part and helping to organise the fun. But first we need to think of streets we could suggest to the Council which could be considered for closure. Do you know of a street you could suggest? And also, would you have members who would help with the organisation?

Please let me know. Between us we could make Car Free Day a day to remember!

Chris Barker
- Haringey Living Streets
- Sustainable Haringey Network Transport Group
c.barker@lineone. net
020 8347 7684

We have a local Living Streets Rep on this site. I wonder what he thinks

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, european car free day, green lanes, living streets

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, yes , yes El parade grande just like in my idle fancies. email straight away!
I will, but I've mailed Paul first to get his take.
Yes, a great idea. On the other hand, if Green Lanes is closed for a day, should the inhabitants of Wightman Road decamp for a long weekend to Timbuktu? Let's dispense with tokenism. Better to nominate both for closure all weekend, declare the Monday a public holiday and party across the Ladder. Should give our lords and masters something to think about.
Eddie, all the inhabitants of Wightman road will be partying on Grand Parade in the late summer sunshine. Still imagine if we did just close the whole of Harringay, ladder, gardens, green lanes and declared it one big festival site. It would rock!
As much as this would be a great idea, our gain someone else's pain. There are always knock on effects with such things.

If Green Lanes was closed from say St Annes Road to Endymion Rd, the roads around would be carnage.

I would, as always though, be up for a street party!
Just for once why don't we say, so what? If there is plenty of warning, plenty of publicity and lots of good stuff to do perhaps people might even consider leaving their cars behind (gasp). My guess is it would benefit traders, pubs and coffee shops/restaurants. And don't call me 'hand knitted' B2. After all they have closed part of that road before (after the recent fire and for other past police operations) and London didn't grind to a halt nor was there carnage on the streets. Look at other European cities like Barcelona/Madrid etc where street parties regularly take place and nobody moans about the traffic. Time our streets were used for fun and frolics instead of racetracks or car parks. It is only for one day, for Pete's sake.
Keep your caftan on Liz : )

I’m all for any kind of traffic calming measures, more than most. I was suggesting that this could cause traffic redirection rather than reduction.

I’m all for thinking (and supporting) ideas that will reduce traffic. It would be great if this could pull off, but I don’t see what benefits it would have for the greater good other than a pleasant local day.

I would love to close Grande Parade off permanently, apart from busses, deliveries, cyclists and pedestrians but as has been pointed out, what about the other north-south main roads in the area? They would suffer and so would the people who live there.

Just out of interest, where would the 29 bus go? Where would deliveries drop off?
Cheeky, B2. I look good in a kaftan though!
If Grand Parade is closed (as I discovered the other day) the 29 is diverted down St Ann's and comes up 7 Sisters to Manor House. Not a disaster really. As for deliveries, well my guess is that a 'day' like this would only be for a few hours say 10.00 'til 9.00 (to avoid the hippies like me from disturbing the populace with their bongos and tambourines) so on that day, businesses could arrange early deliveries.
And John, surely someone must have have a jaundiced view of life if you make an enemy of them by organising a party for them...or do I have too much of a 'fairy wings and flowers' view of life?
We dress as road maintenance people then it will be no problem.

Seriously though, I am against this. North/South is very fragile in Harringay and as much as Grand Parade is crying out to be pedestrianised, we'll make more enemies than friends.

How about a nice bendy 29 bus converted into a nightclub and we have it go up and down between Sainsburys car park and the Sailisbury all day on Saturday.
Liz, you've persuaded me. Green Lanes it is then. I've already cancelled my camel to Timbuktu. For the faint hearts and naysayers, however, let's have full pavement parking on Wightman Road for the day, divert Nos 29, 141, 341 and everything else along it from 10am till midnight, and make sure it's fully policed. (It would be nice to see a policeperson or two hereabouts for a change, but we'll all be on Grand Parade, so we'll miss them.) If necessary, maybe the 341 could go west along Umfreville (humps and all) and east along Allison, returning west along Hewitt and back through Endymion.

Yes, a slightly truncated/beheaded Grand Parade, cutting off Chris my barber who could do with a day's trade - but at least it retains the Salisbury, Garden Ladder and Old Ale Emporium, with, I believe, one or two Turkish/Kurdish restaurants but, alas, it leaves out Muna's Sud-Eritrean place.
So, will it be the Saturday or the Monday? I still think it should be the early Autumn Bank Holiday: Carefree Carfree Monday.
OK, I've written to Chris Barker of Living Streets to see if he thinks Green Lanes is a goer.
Thank you!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service