Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This from Haringey Council's Website:

Haringey Council is to kick start the refurbishment of Hornsey Town Hall with funding of up to £6 million.

The funding decision, taken at the council's Cabinet on Tuesday 18 March, could see the refurbishment of the landmark Grade 2* listed building starting on site in 2009.

Ambitious proposals for the historic building include performance and community space, facilities for young people, new business space and an upgraded Town Hall square.

The project will be funded by retail and housing development primarily at the rear of the Town Hall, and in the Broadway Annex and mews to the north of the town hall square. The redevelopment site will be marketed separately, with the sale of that part of the site covering the council's forward funding of the town hall refurbishment.

Said Cllr Charles Adje, Haringey cabinet member for resources:

"Local people told us clearly that Hornsey Town Hall should be safeguarded for community use, and that is what we are doing.

"The development will restore an important borough landmark and reinvigorate the town hall site, making it once again a hub of civic and social activity.

"We have a strong partnership in place with the Hornsey Town Hall Community Partnership Board, and we have full confidence that we can move forward together to make this project a reality."

Said Community Partnership Board acting chair Ann Wilks:

"This is good news which I hope will mean that we can move ahead more quickly to bring the town hall back to life.

"We welcome the council's commitment to taking the scheme forward in partnership, and to ensuring the best outcomes for the site as a whole including a development sympathetic to the town hall.

"We are now looking forward to working with the council and the community to deliver a successful project for the people of Crouch End and beyond."

The council is currently in the process of undertaking essential works at the town hall, including work to the roof and wiring.

Community events coming up at Hornsey Town Hall include Crouch End Open Studios (CEOS), 15 to 18 May, when the Town Hall will be a major venue for invited curators and artists.

On show alongside works by local CEOS artists will be work by Jane Wildgoose and Damian Llambias, and a series of minute-long artists' films curated by Kerry Baldry. Visit the CEOS website for more details (see the external links section below).

Tags for Forum Posts: crouch end, developlment, hornsey, hornsey town hall

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So they're selling off one part of the hall to keep another part available for community use. Hmm ....
Ever since 1999, when I helped set up London's first farmers' market (Islington), which I then managed until last year, I have tirelessly campaigned for a similar (certified) one in the Hornsey Town Hall forecourt every Saturday. I have hundreds of individuals on an email supporters list, and overwhelming local support. But the Council, having almost agreed to it a couple of times, continues to spurn this generous offer, using an increasingly bizarre set of ridiculous excuses, and repeatedly passing the buck from one department to another. I don't know what lies behind this latest cabinet move or how it affects the farmers' market proposal. If you would like to know more about this extraordinary ongoing saga, email me at jofoster@blueyonder.co.uk
Grief, I'd love a farmers' market there. That's a great initiative Jo. I've emailed you asking for more info to see how/why you're being frutrated.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service