Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

What the Government Office of London Says about Haringey Council's Performance in Caring for the Historic Environment

This from the latest Government Office of London Report:

The borough has a very low level engagement with English Heritage’s Blue Plaques programme. This situation bears out a concern that English Heritage has with staffing numbers for the historic environment in the borough; there are only three full-time equivalents where at least five would normally be found in a borough with this level of historic environment work to be done. The Council is aware, however, that this is an area which needs improvement and the Council is planning a review of its property portfolio to help inform a long term strategy for resourcing the upkeep of its buildings, including those at risk.

Tags for Forum Posts: historicalbuildings

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looking at the lovely photos of the Ladder roads and Green Lanes from one hundred years ago in your photo album has made me think how sad it is that so much of that architectural heritage is being lost and, at an ever increasing rate. The facade of the Coliseum, the ripping out of the Victorian shop fronts and the damage to the housing stock by poor and unsympathetic development have all been discussed on this website with great sadness. No surprise that this area of the council's work should be understaffed (not sure what council department isn't understaffed to be honest) and the language above smacks of 'I know, I know, we'll get round to it, I know we'll announce a review'
It does not fill me full of hope that they will be on to it any day soon and, in the meantime, more of the local heritage is lost.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service