Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Last night I was at a meeting to discuss the plans for development of what is currently known as Falkland/Fairfax open space. See plan here. It basically includes new play equipment and some landscaping.

Funding was discussed, including possible sources and timelines. Possible sources of funding are always fairly limited and consequently chased by every organisation. Timelines are always long.

It was even mentioned at one point that if anyone knew a wealthy person then 'please let us know' ....

The difficulty for Harringay is that it is perceived by government poverty indicators that our area is fine and we therefore miss out on millions of community development monies.

The open space has been neglected for 10- 15 years. It needs to be revitalised. The plans cost £200,000. One does wonder why our taxes aren't used for this. While there is no statutory requirement for government or councils to maintain parks and open spaces, local surveys have shown that people put their parks high up on their list of priorities.

This post is not about blaming any one organisation for neglecting our parks. Indeed, the council has been very busy attracting monies from Big Lottery for redevelopment of bigger parks such as Finsbury Park. It is more about opening up a discussion on how we might be able to attract more funding into our area, not just for the Open Space I have talked about, but for other things as well. Grand Parade could do with sprucing up for example. More facilities for youth are needed. etc.

Any ideas welcome.

[Oh, if you know someone with a spare couple of 100G .... let me know!]

The mayor at last year's Summer Party at the open space.

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Particularly interested in hearing from people with experience of dealing with funding organisations or who work within them.

Hope everyone likes the photo above of the mayor playing a soulful tune. He's very good!
There's no reason that I can see to stop us from doing this work bit by bit except that redevelopment of the under 7's play area (for example) needs a far amount of work. The under 7's area would have to be done all a once as this involves a fairly large safety surface and expensive play equipment.

Have you raised monies yourself or with others before?
Matt have you heard of these people?
http://www.londonplay.org.uk/
They seem to have some stuff on getting funding
www.londonplay.org.uk/document.php?document_id=54

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service