Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

"Some of the items that are discussed on here take a life of their own"

In his Young,Single and misrepresented post, Rhys commented "...some of the items that are discussed on here take a life of their own...."

Agree? Disagree? Problem? Not an issue?

If you agree and feel it's a problem, what do you think is the best way of handling it?

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think he was on drugs. I know I would be if I was young and single and it was 4 o'clock in the morning.

Seriously though, I don't think it's an issue. The forum is very public and if you disagree about something you have an opportunity to speak up. If you're worried that in speaking up you might get a kicking from other forum members then you're a chicken and perpetuating "the problem". We desperately need differing views from people like Rhys'. The best discussion I've seen so far was the "gating the ladder" one started by Dave from the OAE and recently resurected. Lots of differing views and lots of politeness. What more could we ask for?
I think it’s healthy to have uncensored debate.

As long as the comments aren’t liable, vicious and personal I don’t have a problem. Debates do take a life of their own and as is often the case, responding posts level the whole argument out.

Is there any terms and conditions for this site, I can’t remember when I joined? If there is, maybe that could be a condition as a member to adhere to some sort of code of conduct, whether that Ning feature is editable I don’t know?

Maybe there needs to be a team of mods like on other forums, just in case anybody does break the terms.
The issue I had intended to raise wasn't around censorship but around keeping the discussion more focussed and on the topic. May be a good thing. May be a bad thing. You tell me. May be a matter of degree.

There is a site protocols and how to document at Harringay Website 'How To' Downlaodable Document but it probably has lower visibility on the site than it should. It's another job for.............Buttonman! (I'll put on the cape and get to it).
I didn't read his comment in that way as it goes on to talk about meetings and elected reps. I thought he was implying that when people take action (letters etc) following discussion on here they are no more representantive of the views on here than 'real life' groups.
I think we should be clear that when people announce that they are going to take actions as a result of what has been discussed on here that they are doing so on their own behalf and not presuming to talk for the members on here.
That is certainly true in my case. I have taken up the parking bays issue as part of a group around the school not as a rep of the website and people are free to disagree with the action, as indeed people have done.
I now intend to ask the LCSP to challenge estate agents through Trading Standards on their flyboarding. I am acting entirely on my own behalf as is my right, others have shown support but if there are people who like estate agents sign everywhere they are of course free to express that opinion and oppose my proposal.
As to free and frank exchange on the site, provided it is not personally hurtful or libelous, then it is to be supported and encouraged. We are aware that people have many different viewpoints and they must start sharing those instead of feeling agrieved that they are not being represented.
I note that the poster expressed his intention to contact his MP and Area reps on the topic of local representation. I wish him well in this and hope that when he has finished his researches in this area (and shared them with us), he will devote his obvious energy to other issues that concern him and use the website and the resident's groups to find people to support him and aid him.
OK, so maybe he didn't mean it that way. But it's still an issue worth discussing. I was hijacking his phrase.

Again this isn't about fredom of expression, censorship or the like. I'm trying to ask should the conversations be more on-topic. Do we stray too much. I remember having this discussion before and you suggested, for example, that personal exchanges ought to be taken to people's "My Pages".

With reagrds to taking action arising out of discussion on this site, I'll take that to the Turning Discussion into Action discussion.
Okay, you wanted to talk about the way discussions turn into 'chats' between people who may know each other or through the site have 'hit it off' online. I agree that, although a little humour is sometimes a good diffuser of a situation, some regular contributors, myself included, have an 'in joke' or two that may be read as flippant or even insulting to others.
I suggest that people should be aware that they are publishing to an audience and that once their words are 'out there' they may be taken entirely differently from the way they were intended and that private messaging and comments may be the best way to carry on a joke.
If discussions wander too far from the original post, it may be an idea for a moderator / the original poster to pick up the new thread and post a new discussion.
I do feel that discussions often self regulate so that if someone posts something a little
'wild' then many others will leap in to defend/refute. However, I would suggest that people never write while feeling angry (or maybe write it in Notepad, leave it a few hours then go back and see if thats still what they want to say. ) The blog feature can be used effectively to let off steam (again prepare first and re read carefully before publishing!) and will still invite discussion. If it veers 'off the point' under a blog, well that is half the fun of a blog!
I also think that when people say things like 'I'm going to write to my MP' etc, the blog feature can be a useful way of sharing the letter and the results. I too would love to know who the powers that be really listen to and 'how much weight they put to certain sections opinions' and would follow avidly a blog by Ryhs for example on how he finds that out.
Right now I'll amble off to the other discussion you have so charmingly invited me to take part in...have you got the tea and biscuits waiting over in Turning Discussion into Action?
I'd been thinking about this too. I am a perpetrator. I'll promise to be more careful about taking things off topic in the future. Back in the good old days of usenet (pre www) someone would flame the hell out of you for doing that.
Mines a

tonight McMullan.
Off topic. Scandalous!
'Sigh' eyes raised to heaven "There's always one"
Oops! Sorry. Thought I was in the Salisbury already.

So what were we meant to be talking about? Oh yes, 'off topic'.

Just a minute, phone's ringing .... 'Yes, yes, aha, ... no not really. OK, bye'

.... gotta go!

Have a lovely weekend. :)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service